Monday, October 20, 2008

Ick. I felt like SUCH a teacher today. (Actually I’m writing this while “today” is still in progress… it’s my lunch break.)
I didn’t feel social when I woke up… or even “well.” My stomach felt like it was tied in knots. I decided to go with that feeling and wear some roomy pants, with dorky flat shoes (and socks to boot! Getting flashbacks from your kindergarten teacher, yet?) And my purple button-up shirt issued to me by the school district itself. (There is definitely a jackrabbit on the lapel.)
So I look the part for sure. And today’s work has helped me FEEL the part. I’ve been working alongside the woman who previously coordinated the district’s ESL program, trying to fill out a multi-page state report about our district’s language populations. You can imagine our conversations have basically all been a variation of how hard teaching is, and how much work it is, and how teachers aren’t paid enough. (These are the conversations that have always made me a bit annoyed at those having them… today was no exception.)
Taking the day to do this report means I also had to get a sub for my Spanish and ESL classes. I’ve felt queasy wondering how THAT’S going as well. Typically the answer is “not well.”
It’s hard to strive after “the goal for the year” which is to take that Praxis 3 and get the full licensure. Very hard. Does a Medical Student work his butt off throughout Medical School hoping to earn the degree and then run as far as he can hoping never to see another hospital for the rest of his life? That’s how I feel. Maybe Beth will agree to tutor my future children so that I won’t ever have to look at their school building (like if I have to drop them off or something.) Whaddya say, Beth?

No comments: