Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Its Funny How a Blog Can Evolve...




I've had this blog for three years... and I have LOVED writing in it.  But my reasons for loving it have been as varied as one could possibly imagine.

When I first began writing, it was all about the allure of writing my deepest thoughts and not having a clue who was reading them.

Then it became a fun way to comment on social situations, friend situations, guy situations, etc. without the people reading knowing whether I was referring to them or not (I usually was... I knew who my consistent readers were and how to keep them wondering.)

Around that time it was also a personal journal for some of my darkest hours in college.  (Oh boy, was it ever.)  I've been re-reading old entries and can't help but MARVEL at some of the struggles I had and was convinced I'd always have.  Body issues, food issues, relationship issues, grief issues.  I marvel because I look at my life now and I can't believe how free from those things I am!   I have a husband who loves me and who I'm thrilled to spend every spare minute with.  He knows me completely and never gets tired of me.  He understands me.  I'm completely at peace with food and with my body.  I'd never even dream of having all the surgeries I used to talk about.  Superman would be devastated.  ; )   I've learned what a W-4 is.  I know how and when to have my car worked on.  I bring in a paycheck... I don't have to obsess about money or wonder how I'm going to afford Christmas presents.  I get to write posts about frosting roses, tomato plants, and polka-dotted neckties.  And in a few years... who knows?  You might be reading syrupy little posts about diapers and diaper rash and swaddling methods.  A blog is such a beautiful representation of a life lived.  A blog is a window into someone's core... an art form.

And so, while I'm thankful for the changes that have taken place in my life and for the happiness and peace they've brought me, it's also been so good to re-read and re-live those early years here on "Things I Wish I Could Say," ... such a sweet trip down memory lane.  I miss some of the raw-ness and depth that my blog had those first two years.

So whether your blog is an outcry for help, a tool for reflection, or a creative outlet (or ALL of those things, like mine has been)... keep writing!  And go back an re-read your blog from the start some night when you have the time.

4 comments:

Christy said...

I am finding that a blog can be very cathartic. It's easy to get out the feelings, think about why they are what they are, and work through them.

Kimmy said...

aww good post. i know, i re-read my old journals from high school and was quite concerned! teenagers can be so over-dramatic :)

love you criss!

Ess said...

Ooooooo I can't wait for the baby blogs!!!! ;)

Cari said...

I so wish I had started blogging prior to having a child. It would be interesting to go back and read my thoughts prior to then.