~
Please tell me this has happened to someone besides me.
Ya see… I consider myself to have a pretty strong personality.
It’s not very easy to get me to do things I don’t want to do and I'm completely cool with that.
I’m not a huge risk-taker.
I love what I love and generally am not out looking for new adventures or thrills.
In other words, who I am and how I am is just fine with me.
But here at my new job I’ve found myself at times behaving like someone I’m not. And not in big ways. We aren’t talking character things or moral issues. Just relatively minor things I’m starting to find humorous.
For instance, I’m known in my office for liking Hershey’s with Almonds. How did I become the Hershey’s-with-Almonds-Girl? Well, I’ll tell you...
My workspace is directly adjacent to Marylou’s. And every afternoon Marylou offers me some of what she’s eating. Usually it’s some variety of Pepperidge Farm cookies. After turning her down the first few times, I started to feel bad. So on a particular afternoon last week, Marylou went down to the candy machine and came back with a Hershey’s with Almonds bar. A few minutes later she comes over to me and insists that I try it. “It’s just so good! It’s particularly fresh. He must have just put it in today.”
So I take a piece, eat it, and agree that “Yes, I can tell its very fresh.” (It was!)
Now... whenever someone’s headed to the candy machine and they ask Marylou if she wants anything, she’ll say,
“Yes I believe I’ll go with you, and Oh… we need to get Carissa one of those Hershey’s with Almonds, she just loves those!”
O-kay? I mean, they’re fine I guess. But I’ve never in my life requested one in any circumstance.
And my second example just happened. I’m sitting at my desk, and a male collegue who recently got engaged walks past. I ask what he’s got going on this evening and he tells me that he and his fiancé are both interested in figure-drawing, and are trying to organize a group so that they can practice. I respond with interest saying I didn’t know this guy was an artist, and so am I! And as he explains how difficult it is to find a group of people interested in gathering for this purpose, a time that suits them all, a professional model willing to pose… I nod emphatically as I begin to understand how difficult it probably is. (I’ve never tried organizing such a group, but I can’t imagine models are lining up to get naked for ten bucks an hour from a bunch of amateur “hobbyists.”) And I find myself attempting even further to find common ground with him by explaining that I drew a lot in high school and always had particular trouble with drawing from a live model. And the next thing I know I’m being asked if I’M interested in joining the group. “You know the only way you’re ever going to get better at it is just to do it again and again until you improve.”
True. But uhhhh…. NO!!!!!!!!
But my response is something more along the lines of, “Yep. That’s the truth.”
So now I’m the girl who’s addicted to Hershey’s with Almonds and is looking for a nude-figure-drawing class to join. I’ve decided if it comes up again, I’m just going to blame Superman and say he’s not cool with it.
1 comment:
hahahahahahahahahaha; I can't stop laughing about you being a nudist artist. teehee. Enjoy your free candy bars! ;)
Post a Comment