Tonight... I feel like I've had a breakthrough.
Superman and I have been married ONE year, and in that one year I have managed to work myself into approximately thirty-seven jealous, pouting tizzys... all for the exact same silly reason. Over the course of this year, whenever we've had the would-be wonderful opportunity to get together with Superman's sister and her husband... I've managed to spoil it for myself by being a babyish, pouting, lame-o. Well, up til now.
Why was I behaving thusly? Because I didn't like sharing Superman with my brother-in-law and the videogame marathon that is their "male bonding time." Didn't like it one bit! HATED it! Cried over it. Sulked in bed alone because they were still up playing. Harbored resentment against my brother-in-law thinking surely he knew how mistreated I felt and was keeping Superman glued to the screen anyway!
All this was silly of course... because S was just as hypnotically glued-in-place by his own free will as by any conniving on the part of my bro-in-law.
Yes... I still prefer that he come to bed when I do to snuggle and whisper with me.
No, I don't see the fun in choosing to do an activity that "the girls" have no interest in... for hours.
No, I don't think its fair that when couples get together, it's considered a "given" that the guys get the choose what's on TV and it's going to be football, case closed. (You think any guys are going to put up with sitting in a room with their wives while we're riveted to an episode of "Amazing Wedding Cakes?" I doubt they'd sit half as politely and tolerantly as I do when the University of Whoever is playing Whatever State.)
Yes... all that is dumb and a huge double-standard.
But I'm proudly announcing that, as I write, I sit in the home of my mother & father-in-law on such an occasion as I've described above... with said bro-in-law and said Superman upstairs in the wee hours playing Super Mario or Gruesome Alien Death 7... and I'm feeling fine! I've come to fully accept that videogames are Superman and bro-in-law's "thing"... and that they like to stay up late and play them on occassion.
And I'm totally handling it. I'm like Superwife right now. I'm doing MY thing... he's doing his.
And anyway... on most occasions he DOES come to bed with me and whisper and snuggle.
And sometimes he DOES sit and watch Amazing Wedding Cakes with me (although usually he's simultaneously reading political tweets... but I'll take it.)
And all the time I know with 100% certainty that I mean more to him than any hobby ever could. He makes that abundantly clear.
And so, as a one-year-old married woman, who's growing up a little at a time... I was pleased to usher him upstairs with a goodnight kiss and a heartfelt "I'm good."
And I really am. Whooopeeee :)
3 comments:
Awwww what a SUPERwife you are!!! :)
Way to go girl!
Proud of you. But I already was.
Post a Comment