Sunday, May 15, 2011

What's Groin' on?

~
Remember how excited I was a few weeks ago to report that my potato plants looked like this??
~
~
~
Well...
~
Check em out NOW!!!
~
~
~
I honestly had no CLUE just how large potato plants get.  These (luckily) had plenty of room to spread out.
~
~
And remember how cute and sweet and infantile my tomato seedlings used to look?...
~
Well now they stand tall and proud!
They are totally awesome! 
 They survived the gale-force winds and rains of the past few weeks with astonishing strength and resilience.  
~
~
And I'm just starting to see the first buds.  Tomatoes won't be far away now!  
~
~
~
Aside from tomatoes and potatoes... I've got a couple other lovelies growing as well.
What's this you ask?
It's zucchini!!!
(P.S. Anyone know of a non-pesticidal method for preventing squash bugs?  I've only been told about "Seven Spray" but I want an organic solution.)
~
~
And this?
Lettuce of course!
Couldn't be easier to grow.  Try it sometime!  Sprinkle the seeds out in late February or March... make sure the soil is healthy and consistently watered.  And watch it grow :)
~
~
Day after day I go outside in the early morning, just so I can be amazed by the growth that has taken place in a mere day's time.  
~
These will be carrots.  I need to thin them out... they're growing a little too close together.
~
I also planted a few of my leftover tomato seedlings in pots.  They haven't gotten as big as these others yet (since they were planted later) but I figure that'll help keep me supplied with tomatoes later in the summer.  I can't wait to start making Caprese salads! (Now if only my basil bush would take off.  It's been a little slow to acclimate to it's new home.)
~
I still have a few tomato seedlings left over, so let me know if you want to plant one in your yard!

Love,
Carissa






1 comment:

Kimmy said...

You must be so proud!! It's like they're your children :) Haha!