Ok, so it's actually more like "early-Fall" than "late-Summer" gardening, but... you get the idea.
The point is... it's super late for my garden to still be producing. I use the word "still" very loosely here. My tomato plants produced an average of 1-4 tomatoes each this summer. Not that awesome :( The only one that did decently well was the seed that came from Kroger cherry tomatoes. That one produced like crazy! I still can't figure it out.
Anyway, for awhile there (after each tomato plant had produced a tomato or two) they stopped cold. Nothing happened during the entire months of August and September. I kept reminding myself, "This is the weekend I'm ripping up all those spent tomato plants for the compost pile." But of course, being the procrastinator that I am, October came and the plants remained outside. I stopped watering... I stopped checking on them... I had given them up for lost.
But just look at what I found today!
Tomatoes! More than one of them :) And not just on the Kroger cherry-tomato plant (although it's going crazy.)
~
Check this one out! It's pretty big.
~
Cherry tomato plant.
~
And look at the bell peppers. They took awhile to take off... but now that they have, I bet I have more than a dozen out there. On three plants!
~
Pretty pretty. (Especially after a storm.)
~
Glad I didn't rip them up early!
2 comments:
Hey Carissa, I might have an idea about why the tomatoes weren't growing - in that third photo down, it looks like you have a sucker growing. If you pick off the suckers, the plant stops putting energy into growing itself and puts more energy into producing fruit (tomatoes). Suckers are when you have a stem coming off a main steam (like \/) and another one grows in between (like \|/ ). When you see the suckers growing out, you just pinch them off. Probably too late to put this to use now but it's something to remember - actually, with most plants, traumatizing them in some way will make them produce more, because they think they're in danger so they put more energy to producing fruit (with a fruit tree, you can hit the trunk with a hammer on a couple sides). Just one thing to keep in mind - picking suckers makes your hands smell like tomato plant!
BTW - you mentioned about one post only having one view. Just wanted to let you know, I read every post - but it's on my RSS feed so I don't have to remember to check it, it'll come to me automatically. I don't know if that's counted, but I thought I'd let you know!
Kate... I wish you were here to show me exactly how to identify a sucker because I'm sure I have them growing out the wazoo! I knew to keep the plants trimmed somewhat, but I didn't know to pinch off that certain formation. Thanks for the tip! I need them!
And as for that one post that had "one view"... I think I'm just getting used to the new blogger interface. I think it actually just had one view that day. Oops.
Post a Comment