...Once they wheeled me into our labor & delivery room and we met
our nurse, we had a moment alone while she went to gather some paperwork, and I
got a bit emotional (as I knew I would.) It just felt very significant to
me that we had learned we were pregnant with Ava the morning of my Dad's
funeral... and now here we were about to deliver her. It felt like the
real ending of his life in a way. Up til now, that pregnancy kinda linked
me to him because, even though during his last days he didn't know she was in there,
she was, and she was his grandbaby. He wouldn't get to meet her... she
wouldn't get to meet him... but they had co-existed on this Earth for a brief
time, unaware of one another. And now the 9 months were over. I
don't know... it was just hard. And I knew it would be.
Anyway, after that, the nurse strapped a
monitor onto my belly and Ava's heartbeat was nice and steady. She also
took some blood from me and sent it to the lab, and she checked my cervix.
I was at a 6, woohoo! (But on the downside, it was SO uncomfortable
having my cervix checked... I knew I wanted to do that as minimally as possible that day.) My contractions were
still a regular 5 minutes apart... and decently bearable as long as I could sit
on my exercise ball. I changed into a gown and we just worked through the
contractions as peacefully as possible for the next few hours.
My sweet husband french braided my hair that morning to keep it out of my face. He is so talented! :)
Harrison and Kelly arrived not long after
that and stayed in the room with me and Chris for the whole birth! (What a
blessing to have them both there.) Those few hours were quite peaceful,
like I said. The contractions definitely intensified, but I felt so much
relief while on the ball compared to any other position, that sometimes I
wondered whether I was really progressing. My water still hadn't broken
and they had kept on at a pace of 5 minutes apart for quite awhile. My
nurse was very helpful, in that she allowed me to completely "do my
thing" during that whole time and there was never any feeling of pressure
about how this thing "should" be going. Anytime I expressed my
nerves about why my water hadn't broken yet or why my contractions weren't
speeding up, she and Chris would remind me that everything was happening just
right. (And to tell the truth, all I had
to do to reassure myself that this labor was, in fact, progressing, was try and
stand through a contraction. The
increased discomfort compared to when I was squatted down on the ball was
enough to remind me that things were definitely moving along! Just something about that ball relieved
enough pressure to make the contractions more bearable.)
I had expressed to the nurse early on that I wanted to be much
more patient this time around about when I started pushing. (I believe I started much too early when
delivering Elsa… and the pushing was the most difficult part of that experience
the first time. It took a loooong time,
and it felt very unproductive at times.
I had read that pushing can actually feel like quite a relief if you
wait until you’re really ready, so that’s what I was hoping for this
time.) But honestly, it was a bit confusing
trying to clearly identify that “urge to push.”
There were lots of moments I felt intense pelvic pressure and would ask,
“Do you think that means I’m ready to push?”
Of course, it would have made it a lot easier to tell if I’d been more willing
to let the nurse check my cervix… but I was very opposed (haha!)… it was just
soo uncomfortable to me. Plus it almost
always caused me to have a contraction right after. At one point, she promised me she could check
me in two seconds or less, so I let her, and she said I was around an 8. Not quite ready to push yet. Ok… so we kept plodding through contractions,
which were definitely intensifying. I
got to the point where being squatted down on the ball was getting too tiring
for my legs and hips. (Plus I was
getting sleepy.) I SO wanted to curl up
on the bed, but it just was NOT a workable position during the contractions. So for those last few centimeters, I sat on
the bed kinda cross-legged and would hold Chris’s hands and sort of rock/sway
through the contractions while the nurse supported my back.
I also remember that during this time I requested some Zofran and some sort of drink to calm my heartburn (which was still raging, like it has done the whole pregnancy.) It was around the time I drank that heartburn drink that I threw up just a bit. (It could’ve been from the drink, but I think it was just the natural next step of labor.)
I also remember that during this time I requested some Zofran and some sort of drink to calm my heartburn (which was still raging, like it has done the whole pregnancy.) It was around the time I drank that heartburn drink that I threw up just a bit. (It could’ve been from the drink, but I think it was just the natural next step of labor.)
I remember that during this whole portion of the labor, I felt
pretty impatient. When laboring with
Elsa… I had spent all this time gearing up for the labor experience and had no
idea what it would be like afterward. So
in a sense, it was easy to devote my mental energy to the task at hand. But this time, with Ava, I kept inwardly
longing for “the end” because I knew it meant relaxing in my recovery room and
holding my sweet baby. I think it was
just much harder to be patient and work through the labor part because I was so
ready to get to the other side.
Ok, so finally we’re getting to the finish line. I continued to deal with contractions sitting
up on the bed and I could tell they were finally coming more frequently (like
every 2-3 minutes.) I was having to
groan deeply during them instead of just breathing. It was around this point that the nurse
mentioned that she had noticed my cervix seemed to be directed a bit “posterior”
when she had checked me and I was an 8, a bit earlier. She said, “If you can bear it… I think it
would help to lean forward or get on all fours, to help her shift forward a
bit.” So I got on my knees, facing the
back of the bed, and held on to the headboard thing. The contractions felt SOOO much worse in that
position, uggh… I honestly feel like this is where things started to get
craaazaay. But I wanted to stay in that
position since she thought it would be helpful.
I again questioned whether it might be time to push, and since the
nurse knew I didn’t want her to keep checking my cervix, she suggested I try
pushing lightly during the next few contractions and see if it felt good to
me. It did! Not great… but much better than trying not
to. So when I told her that, she thought
it’d be a good idea to check my cervix before calling for the doctor. I didn’t want her to, so I kinda started
pushing “in secret” during the next few
contractions, without telling her I was doing it. Sneaky me!
Well sure enough, after just a few contractions with me lightly
pushing, my water broke. I actually
thought I was just peeing, so I was calling out apologies to the room behind me…
but Chris and the nurse both said, “Nope, we’re pretty sure that was just your
water breaking.” “Finally” I thought, “We
can get this ball rolling!” And indeed
we did. The contractions got even more
intense and I told the nurse, “I’m pushing!”
(And I kid you not… these few moments stand out to me more than any
others of the day. The contractions were
so intense, I felt like that girl from The Ring, freakily climbing up the
well, only I was climbing my hospital
bed.) My nurse hurried to call the doctor in, and in the
meantime they scooted another doctor in there to be ready, just in case Dr.
Brenniman didn’t make it on time. The
doctor told me to go ahead and try to turn around so that I could get my feet
into the stirrups and push more efficiently.
I let out a few screams during the next contraction/push and Chris told
me, “You’ll get a lot more power out of a push if you don’t scream out all your
energy” (or something like that.) So I
called up my knowledge from the last birth and told myself to hold my breath
and bear down good and hard during those pushes. And then during my breaks I went ahead and
let out a few good screams.
Dr. Brenniman got in there in time, and I only had to push 5 times
or so (compared to over an hour with Elsa… yay!) And it was so wonderful because even though
it was crazy intense, I could tell that these pushes were actually doing something! I was pushing with my contractions (unlike with Elsa, where I was kinda just
pushing aimlessly.) And when Dr.
Brenniman would say, “Keep coming with that one… it’s working!” I could tell
that it was, and so it made me want to keep pushing even though it’s such an
extreme force of energy and it’s so hard to keep going.
So yeah, five or so really good push sessions, and WooHoo! her head was
out! I could tell right away that I had
torn though (bummer!) and I was kinda hung up on that and had stopped
pushing. But the doctor told me I needed
to push out the rest of her, so I did. J
And she was bright pink and screaming beautifully, right from the
start. Her head was really nice and
round, and she looked SO tiny. (But she
wasn’t, she was 7 lbs. 10 oz. Bigger
than Elsa was!) She was born at
2:41pm. And what a feeling in the
room! Chris was spontaneously laughing
and crying at the same time, Harrison was laughing, Kelly was crying, and I was
just thinking, “Yay! I did it! I’m done! She’s here!”
They gave her to me for some skin-on-skin time, and she continued
to exercise those awesome lungs! I could
really feel the pain in my “bottom” area… even the whole time the doctor was
stitching me up (even with the Lidocaine!)
The reason for this was that, unfortunately, Ava had had a hand up by
her face during the whole delivery, and that extra diameter (in addition to her
head coming out) is what cause me to tear (off to the side a bit… Owee, not
fun!)
So although it was wonderful to be holding her and loving on her…
it was also pretty rough to be feeling so much more pain from the “aftermath.” During that time, I took some pain medication through my IV to
help with that, but it didn’t really kick in well for about half an hour. Also during that time, my legs were shaking
pretty violently, although I didn’t really feel
cold. The doctor told me it was a
totally normal reaction, due to hormones.
(Weird. I don’t remember it
happening with Elsa.)
And from there it was just awesome!
We hung out in the room together, held Ava, took pictures of her, eventually
weighed her and cleaned her up a bit. And
we weren’t rushed into the recovery room for quite awhile. There were some other (more stressful)
situations happening on the floor at the time and my nurse had gotten called
into the OR to help with a surgery. So
we were free to just hang out for a few hours in our room with our new little
one!
A few visitors came in to see us (and Ava) during that time. Also, I couldn’t stop just re-living the past
few hours in my mind. I wanted to know
what moments really stood out to Harrison, especially. And I personally just couldn’t stop re-living
those last few stages of the labor (from around the time my water broke,
onward.) It was just so intense… I
couldn’t quite move on mentally. I was
pretty amped up.
Warren, Suzanne and Elsa showed up a little after 6:00, just in time to help us get all our stuff transferred over to the recovery room. (But I think I want to save all my recollections about Elsa and Ava's first meeting for another post.)
Warren, Suzanne and Elsa showed up a little after 6:00, just in time to help us get all our stuff transferred over to the recovery room. (But I think I want to save all my recollections about Elsa and Ava's first meeting for another post.)
Ok, so technically I guess Ava’s “birth story” ends there, but I
have to also note that throughout this day, my cousin Emily (who was due just a
few days before me) also went into labor and came to the hospital! She even came into our recovery room (while
in early/active labor!) to visit with us a bit, because she was waiting to
progress a bit more before they admitted her.
She ended up having her baby the same night (although it was 13 minutes
after midnight, so the cousin-babies have different birthdays.) And then we were next-door to each other in
the recovery hall. It was SOOO
cool! We couldn’t have planned it better
if we tried.
All in all, like I said, the day was so blessed. My hopes for the Ava's birth were beyond exceeded. And even though it was no “walk in the park”…
it was GOOD. We are home now, enjoying doing nothing with our little one. Elsa will be home from her grandparents' house to join the party tomorrow. I'll be sure and post again soon to show a few pictures from the day and journal about Elsa and Ava's first meeting... sooo sweet. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment