Tuesday, June 19, 2007


Aha! I have located the picture I wanted to post of us kids at Camp Ne-o-tez. In it, you might recognize such faces as my own, Harrison's, and Mallory's, as well as the Awtrey children (Maddie is the one scratching her... groin?) Way cute. This place is home to me!

My dad does not like Kenneth. Well, actually I'm sure he likes him, but not enough to get him for us. He brought up such practical points as, "Who will let him out during the day?" and "I don't want to pay for food or shots for a pet... or to board it while we're away." Still, my plan of action is to listen to those arguments, act like I've accepted them, and then act the next day as if I never heard any of them. Mallory and I discuss whether Kenneth will be a beagle, or a Jack Russel Terrier, or some other kind of puppy entirely. We discuss whether he'll be well behaved around guests or whether he'll need a shock collar to control his barking like Molly down the street. I don't think he'll need one, by the way.

My days have been feeling aimless lately. It's weird having drawing as my job, because it's not something I can do for hours upon hours. I have to do it in spurts. And I break it up with eating, or laying out in the sun. It's just... odd... switching off between those three things. A bit of drawing, some food, some laying around in the sun. Speaking of which, I feel weird about laying out in my backyard. Ever since Tim Bilbo told me at camp that it makes him mad that his wife lays out in their driveway in a bikini. I feel like I can no longer plead ignorance and that I have to feel guilty for doing that. Our house is on a corner and behind it is a street, and each time a car drove by today I was having this inner battle about how to best handle the situation. "Should I roll up into my towel like a cocoon until this car passes?" "Should I lay my legs down flat instead of bent up so that maybe I'll blend into the ground and this person won't know I'm here?" (And when one car honked...) "Should I sit up and wave? What if its someone we know? But then what if it's some creepy weirdo?"

I think we need a fence.

Anyway, tomorrow we have church so at least the day will feel like its heading toward something... I'm going to deliver my drawing to the Millers. I'm happy with it, so I'm excited to give it to them. There's one kid in it who I'm less than sure about. The drawing looks exactly like the photo, but the photo doesnt really look like the kid. Oh well, I'm ready to call this one done.

And that's all.

No comments: