Wednesday, June 27, 2007

I'm tired of worrying about whether Harry is wrong or right... I say he's wrong. End of story.
Speaking of Harry, or rather, his MOVIE... I was asked by a friend to come up with my favorite movie. This is a task I have long avoided doing (naming a favorite movie) because I find it to be very difficult. Way back in the day, I'd have said Dumb and Dumber. But I watched it too much and got sick of it. Fast forward a bit in time and I'd have told you The Notebook, but another couple viewings and the novelty wore off. Napoleon Dynamite has me rolling with laughter to this day, but people ruined it by mis-quoting it and giving lazy, half-hearted imitations of the SUPERB voices of the characters... and doing it WAY too much. I had a phase of being obsessed with Braveheart... still love it. But it's hard to call such a heavy movie your favorite and it's also hard to keep loving it as much once you've seen Mel Gibson in What Women Want and other such unappealing roles. (I'd have loved it if he could have stayed William Wallace in my mind.)
And then there's the issue of categories. I can name favorite musicals, but I can't put those in the same categories as comedies or epic films. And then I have my movies that I just think are beautifully made. (Justin, I'm sure you are laughing that I'm giving it this much thought... laugh it up.)
So here's the list I've come up with. The movies that have stuck by me... haven't lost all appeal to me due to over-watching. Some of them bring back the BEST memories from my childhood and still bring me that joy even as an old lady :-) Not many of these selections are comedies... I think its because most of the comedies I've liked have become un-funny to me.
-10 Things I Hate About You
-Steel Magnolias
-Lord of the Rings
-Pride and Prej. (the new one)
-The Swan Princess
-When Harry Met Sally (ooooh, ironic)
-You've Got Mail
-(certain parts of) Madagascar
-Wee Sing's The Best Christmas Ever (a childhood fave)
-Father of the Bride 1 and 2
-Fiddler on the Roof
-Chocolat
-Love Actually
-The Mighty Ducks (especially D3)
Hmmm... I don't want this post to be all about movies so I'll say another interesting tidbit. Ummm, nevermind I got nothin'

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hahaha D3 ahaha. just thinking about someone calling it D3 in a sentence makes me laugh. especially you

shannon said...

i'm with you on WHEN HARRY MET SALLY and LOVE ACTUALLY.

and i did like parts of MADAGASCAR - i agree.

how 'bout BEAUTIFUL GIRLS (a great film with a horrible name) or THE BIG LEBOWSKI?