Been awhile... big week... lots to update you all on.
For starters, the eyelashes DID come off on about day 5. Yikes... we're talking baby oil on the eyes every single night and they wouldn't budge. Finally I broke the cardinal rule and pulled them off. Don't know if I'll be attempting to wear those again any time soon.
Big thing #2- Apparently my dad has spent the entire semester worrying that I am bulimic, and has been reading up on the topic rather than asking me about it. Nice. We had a lovely couple of chats this week. Many of you who read my blog often (or know me on a daily basis) know that food is the tool of choice that Satan likes to use to get at me sometimes. What you probably don't know is how very impossible it is for my dad to understand this aspect of my life. I won't go into this here (Beth tells me my blog is getting too depressing) but I had to put in a blurb because it was a big part of the week.
Also, I've been forced into promising my brother that I would blog about him. Specifically about his habit of overreacting to ANY touch, poke, or verbal provocation on my part, by tackling me and wrestling me to the ground, restraining me from moving my arms while simultaneously (and miraculously when you think about it) tickling me without ceasing in the WORST possible spots to where I cannot breath or do anything except scream in a very unattractive way. Why would I promise to do this, you might ask? Well, it was one of the bargaining methods I had to use on one such occasion in order to gain my freedom back. I've tried everything else: appealing to my dad for aide (who in these instances I usually call "BFF" hoping that it will endear him to me), using my own strength to escape (doesn't work... I haven't any), and frequent repetition of the word STOP in as serious a tone as I can muster through strangled laughter. This never works... I think he actually hears "please continue." Anyway, the other day he proposed letting me go in exchange for a blog entry on this topic. He is a total whacko. So there you go, Harrison.
Also, I am dead tired. I subbed at two different schools today, pre-school in the morning and special ed elementary in the afternoon. I couldn't for the life of me find the second school and therefore I was late. Immediate stress right there. Then combine that with the fact that the teacher I worked with in the morning and the one I worked with in the afternoon could not have BEEN more different in personality. I have always been one of those people who gets worn out by "people." I hate having to put my public face on, and then having to adjust it to interact with all the different people I encounter throughout the day. I got into my car after school, closed the door, and just sat there in the silence trying to reclaim my identity.
Funny story about subbing though. In my classroom today I was working with a boy who has autism. Not a severe form, but it made for some funny conversations. I was supposed to be working with him on spelling. He kept wanting to talk about COOKING. So of course it was impossible for me to ignore his questions and direct him back to spelling words. Our conversation went something like this:
"Do you have a gas stove at home?"
"No, I think its electric."
"It's electric? Does it make a cracking sound like a gas stove when you turn it on?"
"No it doesn't make a sound when you turn it on."
(two seconds later)
"So your stove at home is electric?"
"Yes it's electric. Ok, lets spell bare."
"B-A-R-E. Not like bear the animal, but bare like.... uhhh..... like a bare fyring pan. What kind of oil do you use?"
"Huh?"
"Do you use vegetable oil?"
"Vegetable oil... uhh yeah for baking."
"But what kind do you use for frying?
"Olive oil... or butter."
"What sound does the butter make when you use it for frying? What kinds of vegetables do you fry? Do you drizzle your olive oil like Rachel Ray? Is it virgin olive oil?"
I kid you not people. This was the child I was working with. I could see that he was incedibly smart, just not interested in spelling or writing at ALL. And I wished we didnt have to waste time doing that stuff when we could have been having a great conversation about frying pans and oil and rachel ray :(
No comments:
Post a Comment