Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My first encounter...

My trip here to colorado barely got worked out. i was going to shell out 80 bucks for a shuttle from denver to breck, but kel called upon my landing and said she had found a friend of a friend who was headed that way to pick someone up and could get me too! of course i was SO relieved. I had to wait two hours for them to get there and then search forever because we could find each other. Now shifting into "present-tense narrative" mode...
Finally we find each other and i throw my stuff into his "older" looking car and we head off. (Pause: by this time I have already heard the F-word more times then the rest of my life combined.) Unpause. So we start the 2-hour commute, and one of the guys says, "Do you mind if we make a quick stop in Silverthorne?" I think to myself, "This is probably drug-related" but smile and say, "sure."
(Silverthorne was a good hour and a half down the road so that first stretch of drive was full of lots of conversations about "boarding," "partying," "sustainable energy sources," and the word "dude." All of this came in a voice that sounded so familiar to me but it took awhile before I finally placed it as a cross between the Turtle Dad off of Finding Nemo, and the entire cast of Laguna Beach.)
Then one guy asks if I mind if he smokes and I look at his cigarettes and say, "Well, could you crack a window?" This he does and we freeze for the next ten minutes or so. Then its, "Hey do you mind if we smoke weed?" (A blank look from me... followed by...) "Are you ok to do that and drive?" They seem confused by this question so I say, "I mean will it impair your ability to drive? Will I get to Breckenridge alive? If so, then whatever." They kinda laugh and tell me its like smoking a cigarette and ask, "Do your friends not smoke pot?" "No."
(For a breif moment, there was also the worry that the car might be having some trouble and I just sat in my back seat furiously texting about the absurdness of this situation to chris and kelli.)
When we finally DO get to Silverthorne, its to drop a pair of "sick" (meaning awesome) skis off at this guy's house. He's a pro who gets paid by sponsors, and a friend of these guys' from highschool. we go inside and hang out for a bit, and YES the guy gives my chaufferes a GALON-SIZED ziploc of weed, i kid you not. And we finish our drive.
So I'm here now and its the next morning. Two of kelli's guy friends stopped by and awakened me by knocking because one of them left a boot here. they told me i should get dressed and ski with them (i know them from camp tahkodah and they're good guys) but i was still like, "No I don't think so." (Not easy to come up with a good excuse that doesn't give away your real reasons for refusing, "I'm lazy, cheap, and not that good.") So I went with, "I'm unprepared... clothing-wise." That may not get me out of doing it tomorrow since kelli is fully outfitted ten times over. But the good news: these guys offered to get me back to the airport friday morning so they are my angels.

1 comment:

Brooke E.Davis said...

Oh my gosh! That is insane Carissa!! I'm glad you made it to Colorado safe and sound and are now there with Safe Kelli! I'm jealous you are there, but not jealous of your ride to Breckenridge! I hope you are having a blast, you'll have to make a snowman for me! Love you!