So... I'm really into this whole gardening thing. (Like you couldn't tell that by now.)
~
I haven't harvested enough tomatoes to fill a gift basket or anything... but plenty to keep me happy with the occasional tomato sandwich or Caprese salad throughout the summer.
~
Buuuuut, I'm a bit miffed about something.
Pests.
Why do they exist and why do I seem to be the only gardener dealing with them?
~
I know that's an exaggeration and it's just classic "The grass is always greener..." talk, but seriously! I talk to other gardeners who pluck these lovely, red, fully ripe tomatoes off their vines with nary a blemish.
And just look at what I find?!?
As soon as my tomatoes even take on a tinge of red... something is waiting to chomp them!
What could it be? This is no bug... this has to be either a bird or a squirrel. And I don't even live near trees. It's just the darndest thing!
~
So for now... here's the genius plan I've come up with to ward off whatever is snacking on my tomatoes as soon as they begin to redden.
Plastic sandwich bags covering the tomato and stapled at the top to close out any larger critters that might want to get to it.
~
Experienced gardeners, what do you say to this plan? Some might say its too time consuming, but it really took me all of sixty second to go out and cover the two tomatoes I currently have about to turn red. Maybe if I had thirty tomato plants it wouldn't be feasible... but I only have eight... and they're not all producing tomatoes at the moment.
Is it, like, an environmental faux pas to have an "organic garden" but use up plastic baggies that you'll later throw in the landfill to try and protect the tomatoes in it?
~
I just don't know. So let me know if you've discovered a better solution in your own gardening adventures.
No comments:
Post a Comment