I've been reading and catching up on other people's blogs with such ferocity tonight that I'm almost mentally spent. Almost.
After a few very busy weeks of working, studying for the Series 7 in my free time, and being out of town on weekends... I suddenly felt the urge to blog a little update!
I'll start with tonight. Tonight I am giddy with anticipation over the the new books series I am reading (well, new to me but published circa the late-90's?)
The Glenbrooke Series.
It's written by Robin Jones Gunn, an author whose endearing teen Christian fiction supported, captivated, and gently taught me throughout my coming-of-age years. On a recent business trip I picked those books back up for some light airplane reading and found (upon reading them through a second time) that I was just as in love with the characters and stories as ever! They are so genuine, so fun to read about... and so intent on living Godly lives. These are the stories I want my daughters to read. SO... imagine my delight when I discovered that R.J.G. had also written a series for young adults called The Glenbrooke Series! And it is phenomenal. Some of the secondary characters from the teen series are given center stage here, and a few new friends are introduced as well. These people are in their mid-twenties and are dealing with falling in love or in other cases struggling with loneliness and longing while waiting to find "the one", starting out young families, new jobs... all the things I'M dealing with! (Whaddya know?) Books 1-3 have been just great. And now, I'm eagerly waiting as day by day the rest of the series arrives at my door (thanks, Ebay!)
The timing is perfect. Let the books pile up, because I'm also delightedly anticipating an upcoming trip to Big Cedar Lodge! I don't think I can express to you the glee that fills my entire being when I look forward to a trip to Big Cedar, and when I've finally arrived there. I adore it.
It's beautiful, peaceful, worry-free, relaxing, luxurious, fun... I could go on and on. And Superman and I will forever connect it with the wonderful memories of the days that immediately followed our wedding (Gross! T.M.I. Sorry!)
But really, we drove there straight from our wedding and stayed for four days of newlywed bliss. And every time I go back, I'm transported. :)
Now, I'll shift from all the fairy-dust and roses talk. Let's talk about what my husband is doing right now. He is playing a zombie-mutilating videogame and talking to some Canadian stranger the whole dang time. For the past...mmmm... two hours I've been listening to meaningless phrases spoken to thin air..
"There you go... Well played...... come down here... party's in here... careful we got a big dude...that's why I got you...you can go wherever you want... I'm gonna go grab this combo over here... Nice!... Killin' zambies!... Aw yeah, it's old school... Just kinda takin' it back to the (trails off)...where you at? Watch your back, watch your back!... yeah, that's a good one... plus when uhhhhhh (trails off)... oh you got yours uhhhhhh (trails off)...shoot him in the leg and run past him... run past him and push...yeah if you run past him... if you run just behind him it'll change from doing an uppercut to the neck-breaker...!"
And while I'm finding it quite entertaining to Tweet his random quotes as he spews them forth, I find this particular "gamer's hobby" extremely annoying and was hoping Superman would never take a liking to it. Hopes dashed. He and Canadian-guy are hitting it off.
In other news, Fall is just around the corner and I am freaking out about that fact. I LOVE Fall... I love October... I love the anticipation of the Holidays. (I'm beginning to think I just love anticipation period. I love anticipating having babies one day, anticipating going to Big Cedar, anticipating Fall.) I keep trying to convince Superman on our nightly walks that he should love Fall as much as I do and he always responds by saying, "Fall is just the signal of impending doom." (He hates winter, cold-weather, and how early it gets dark.) Me? I love any and every excuse to bundle up cozy and warm indoors, and there is no better excuse for that than dark, cold weather. Pumkpins, changing-leaves, crisp air... can't you just feel it? Its coming.
Work? Work is work. Next topic. :)
Cooking: I'm not doing nearly as much as I'd like to be doing due to my busy schedule. But I have a few awesome cupcake projects coming up in the next few months that I'll definitely be showing you over at Pretty/Hungry. Stay tuned.
A few closing thoughts for tonight:
1) I don't miss teaching for one single solitary second (although I still can't wait to be a professional homemaker.)
2) In a week and a half I'll be two years married! (And let me tell you, it really HAS been a two-year honeymoon... my Sweets literally lights up my life.)
3) I'm plowing ahead gettin' myself educated in all this money stuff. (Hope to take the Series 7 in October before the holidays swing into high-gear.)
4)And, oh yes, of course...how could I forget? My house is a pigsty. Always will be.
Peace,
Riz
1 comment:
Oh my gosh...I don't know what it is but all the sudden I just miss you like crazy! I didn't know you were on Twitter - let me know your username and I'll follow you. I'm OneChicGeek.
Post a Comment