Thursday, November 3, 2011

How does this HAPPEN???

Ok, I seriously don't get it.

I spent all summer tending my garden.  And all throughout their "normal growing season" my tomato plants produced a few meager tomatoes.  About 1-3 per plant.  (A few didn't produce squat!)  Pathetic!

And now it's November.

And I just harvested these.  Are you kiddin' me??  What gives?


If you're wondering why they're still green, it's because they've been green for awhile I don't think they plan out turning red outdoors.  The weather is really cooling down quite a bit.  I left them out there to ripen as long as I could, but I knew that once we started getting frost the plants would die, so I brought them in.

~

By the way, those aren't all the cherry tomatoes.  Not even close.  Those are just the cherry tomatoes that I accidentally cut as I was cutting other vines nearby them.

~

Oh, and I'm still getting bell peppers too.

~

I'm completely dumbstruck.  For real, what's going on here?  Do tomatoes really need a full 6 months to grow?  Cuz' that's how long its been since I planted these suckers outside (not counting the month they spent inside as seedlings.)  What am I supposed to do next year... plant them in February and invest in outdoor space heaters?   Build a greenhouse?  How does anyone successfully grow heirloom tomatoes in Arkansas?  I'd love it if you'd share your secrets.

~

Anyway, for now, I'm hoping these babies'll turn red inside and taste somewhat decent.  I left some vine attached (hoping that'd help them ripen better.)  There is no scientific fact or research behind that method... I just figured it might help.  We'll see.

~

We might be inviting you over for some Christmas Caprese Salad if these things turn red by then.






No comments: