Sunday, February 26, 2012

My Book List- If you haven't read these... you're missing out BIG TIME!

It occurred to me today that I should blog about must-read books.  For one thing, I always like it when fellow reader friends (at least those whose opinions I generally trust) write about their favorite books.  How else am I going to know what to read?  I very seldom agree with the critics in People magazine... so friend-recommendations are my most reliable source for awesome mind candy.  Reading a good book is just such a wonderful escape from everyday life!

But then (after it occurred to me that I should write about my favorite books) it occurred to me that I've already done so... somewhere waaaaaay far back in the archives of this blog.  So I searched for that post, and sure enough, there is was back in 2007.  I still stand by the recommendations in that post and would say they deserve a VIP spot on your "To Read" list.  But I'm also going to add a few more current recommendations.  I'm telling you... you've got to read these!  If you haven't already, I'm jealous that you get to.

The 2007 List


The Chronicles of Narnia- by C.S. Lewis
I think that ever since the movies came out, people have written these books off. But The Chronicles of Narnia (and not just the first one, mind you, ALL of them) still to this day just fill me with so much joy about the God we serve. No book, song, movie or ANYTHING has been able to make me understand this fully the truth of God's love for us.  And what's great is how they speak to me differently no matter what age I re-read them! The best ones (in my opinion) are The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and The Last Battle. But just by a hair.  And that isn't to say you should only read those two if you're lazy or low on time.  I'm a HUGE stickler for reading a series in order.  And I definitely say do that here, so that you can get the full richness Lewis intended.  (By the way, speaking of Lewis' intentions... Lewis intended for the Chronicles to be read starting with The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe first... even though that isn't the order in which he wrote them.  So honor the man's wishes, puh-leese.) These books are absolutely beautiful.

The Book of Romance- by Tommy Nelson
One of the best and most honest books I've read... great for adults, but I also highly recommend it for teen-agers and college-agers (or parents of either of the aforementioned age-groups.)  You hear SO MUCH as you grow about physical purity and God's intentions for sex, but this book has gotten through to me like no other. It has given me a COMPLETELY different view of sex, one that I believe is truly God's intention for giving us this gift. I've bought this for people because I love it so much, and I also think guys should read it. It's written by a man and he does a VERY good job representing the points of view of both men and women with regard to sex.

A New Kind of Christian- by Brian Mclaren
I don't read an overabundance of Christian literature, but I wish everyone would read this. This is the faith I want to have.

The Brothers K- by David James Duncan
Fictional novel. Touchingly real and surprisingly funny.  It's a bit more meaty than your average paperback... so I have certain friends I wouldn't recommend it to (specifically those who want light, mindless reading a la Lauren Conrad.)  But it was one of the most beautifully written and hilarious stories ever. It can speak to ANYONE. It's about family, tough love, struggling through faith, baseball, war, growing up, and tons more.  I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it considering I'm not usually drawn to a few of those themes... but I've never laughed out loud this much in a book.

Lord of the Rings- by J.R.R. Tolkien
Yet another example of a story that spoke to me from a completely different world... about the very world I live in. Genius. Enchanting. (I sound like the New York Times now... but I mean that, I was enchanted by these books.) I wanted to BE a part of this world. I will read these books again and again for my entire life. I recommend you start with The Hobbit.  The language in these books is very lofty and descriptive, so be warned if you're not into that sort of thing.  But me?  I'm SO into it.

Redeeming Love- Francine Rivers
Everyone should read this. GUYS should read this. Guys, please read this. This is the story of Hosea retold in a more contemporary time period. It gives the honest and ugly picture of who we were in our sin, and how God chose to save us anyway, despite our unfaithfulness. And it is a BEAUTIFUL story. I cried. A lot.


And now for the 2012 Additions...

The Shack- by William P. Young
The Shack is another one I wish everyone would read.  It's a bit mind-bending (but in a way we all need.)  Now, go into this like you would any other fictional book... Young wrote this story for his children in an effort to illustrate the love of God.  He actually didn't intend for it to be published, and he certainly didn't intend for it to take the place of Biblical fact in some people's eyes (which it has.)  What he intended was to offer a perspective of the three persons of God, and how he relates with his children, especially in their pain.  The story is a profound response to the question, "Where is God in the midst of our most debilitating pain?"  I'll warn you that the beginning of the book is tough on the emotions... but press through.  You will be encouraged.



Get Out of That Pit- by Beth Moore
Beth Moore had me captivated in this book.  The sub-title is "Straight Talk About God's Deliverance"  and to be honest, I didn't read this at a time when I felt like I was in a "pit" or in any kind of desperate need of deliverance.  But, I have definitely had times in my life where I did feel that way, and I think that's what drew me to this book.  And let me tell you, I was spell-bound.  It's a book to arm you against Satan and his attacks.  It's a book to strengthen you with the truth of God's word.  It's a book to give you hope when you feel completely stuck and your eyes can no longer see the light.  (But don't wait for a time like that to read it... I know I'm glad I read it when I did!) 




The Hunger Games- by Suzanne Collins
I have to stop up my ears any time I hear a critical word about this series.  I can't allow it.  It's too good.  I held off for a good six months at first because I had heard descriptions that used words like "Post-Apocalyptic" and "fights to the death" and it didn't sound like my thing.  But it totally is!  This series is deep, visceral, beautiful, and sad all at once.  (Not to mention positively addictive.)  You see with clarity how love can exist no matter the circumstances (between sisters, friends, even enemies)... and how it's the only thing that keeps life live-able.  You also see the remarkable human need for survival and what it does to a person.  I was also incredibly fascinated by the action in the arena... which qualities make certain children successful might surprise you.  Say what you will about the simplistic writing style, but I think everything about this was intentional.  Its meant to evoke a feeling within you, and it absolutely does.  **Let me also add that this is NOT young adult fiction.  (I know that's where you'll find it in the library, but I think much of the depth of the plot and relationships is lost on young people.  Plus there's a fair bit of romantic tension, nudity, violence, etc.  I don't know what they'll rate the movie, but done right it'd be an easy "R").


And I'll end with a short one...


Pride & Prejudice, Emma, and Sense & Sensibility- by Jane Austin
These are my three Jane Austin favorites.  Austin is the queen of cleverness and wit... and the queen of satire.  And you don't find this kind of plot originality often in today's writings.  She simply can't be matched.  You will feel smarter, more proper, WAY more sentimental, and a bit cheeky after putting one of these down.




Happy reading everyone!  I'm jealous of you for getting to read any of these for the first time. :)

No comments: