It's NOT!
Plain and simple.
And you can imagine how frustrating that is for me, a control-freak, who has followed the principles perfectly since the day Elsa was born... and yet cannot achieve the desired outcome: a child who sleeps through the night.
(Side Note: If you are unfamiliar with Babywise, it is a method of feeding and sleep training called Parent Directed Feeding. It has a high percent success rate getting babies to sleep through the night by 8-10 weeks of age.)
So if you are one of those moms who likes to brag on Facebook about how great a sleeper your child is, I'm happy for you, really. But I'm probably going to delete you off my feed. Because all that your boasts accomplish is that they add fuel to my fire at 2 am when I'm upset over the fact that my daughter continues to wake up crying a few (or many!) times a night.
In Babywise's defence, I will say that I like the structure it gives our day. I also like that Elsa seems to respond to her feed, wake, sleep schedule by having very happy and alert awake times and very consistent naptimes. That is nice. It allows me to fully enjoy her when she's awake, and to get things done while she's asleep. So I will continue our 3-hour feeding schedule and the feed, wake, sleep pattern. It is no trouble to keep that schedule as she seems to get hungry around those times anyway.
But the sleeping through the night is just not happening for us!
So if it's happening for you... I don't want to hear about it! Go slap high-fives with your husband and let the rest of us survive without the echo of your voice taunting us at 2 am.
Just needed to get that off my chest.
Happy Holidays to all!
2 comments:
None of mine were good sleepers, but that hasn't affected what kind of adults they have turned out to be. Lol. Not to discourage you, but Todd didn't sleep through the night until he was 7 months old. Of course, we had never heard of "Baby Wise".
I'm just seeing this but HAD to throw some "encouragement" your way! Tucker is 17 months and not sleeping through the night... Westin is 3 1/2 and RARELY sleeps through the night. I don't think this is "normal" but apparently it is in our family... and it's amazing how God creates mommies to be able to adapt to broken sleep schedules and even very little sleep... it takes a while but it happens :) and I'm sure eventually we will all get a full night's sleep & have NO idea what to do with all our extra energy! I have read just about every book or article out there about sleep training and what I've learned is that NO "method" works for every baby! But being attentive & responsive to your baby's needs makes for the happiest babies AND mommies! You're a great mommy-- hang in there!
Post a Comment