To bring you up to speed... unless you are family or a close friend I speak to regularly, you may not know that I recently made the decision to undergo some genetic testing. This was recommended to me by my oncologist. My mother's side of the family has a history of fatal breast cancer, multiple instances. So Chris and I decided we needed to know whether I had inherited increased risk. It became especially real to us after having our sweet Elsa, how very much we wanted to insure that her momma could stick around as long as possible.
This weekend we got our test results and learned that (most unfortunately) I have inherited a gene mutation that drastically increases my risk of developing cancer in my lifetime. We were prepared for this news, and had already decided that our course of action would be to move forward immediately with a double mastectomy, should my results come back positive. Since they did, our decision was made.
I would appreciate prayers over the next few months as our family goes through some radical changes. At the top of that list (as far as immediacy goes) is that I'll need to wean Elsa over the next month. She will need to be completely transitioned off of breastfeeding by mid-March so that we can move forward with a mammogram and subsequent surgery. The other radical change (of course) will be the complete mastectomy I will undergo. I'm not worried or concerned about the procedure... just aware that it means a lot of changes are in store for us.
Mostly I am thankful. I believe Proverbs 25:2, which says, "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, and the privilege of Kings to discover them." In this, I believe that God has revealed to us one of the mysteries of the universe and allowed me to act upon this knowledge while I am still young and healthy. I'm so thankful we can know this.
But as for the matters in this life which remain veiled... I trust God. He is good. Period. He is working his will in the world to his own glorious purposes. His ways and his plans are perfect and we can know that and have no fear. There is no better plan or purpose we can hope to suggest that is better than his. Let that be a source of relief to us. My Heavenly Father will take care of me.
3 comments:
Carissa, I am without words! I am so proud of you for the faith that has brought you to this decision. What a trying, difficult thing to do. While yes it is an easy decision to reduce that risk, it is still tough. I will absolutely be praying for you and your family. I love you!
I think about you (and your mom) whenever this topic comes up in life - the news, friends, coworkers, etc. so proud of you and the woman you've become! Know that prayers are coming your way from Texas
Wow, Carissa, I hadn't been on my blog or read any other blogs in over a year! I don't even know what to say but I admire you for this decision and will be praying for you as you go through the surgery. Please let me know if I can ever keep Elsa for you or bring dinner or anything else. We love you guys!
Post a Comment