Friday, May 17, 2013

Post-Appointment Report (Two Weeks Out)

I went to see Dr. Bauer Wednesday for a follow-up... and came out so relieved about how my recovery is progressing!

He's very happy with how I'm doing :)  My problem was I kept seeing women in his waiting room who looked like they were doing so much better than me.  I'd see the same women each week coming in for their follow-up appointments and they'd say, "I had my surgery ten days ago and got my drains out today, Yay!"  I finally asked him this week, "What's the deal?  Why am I recovering so slow?  Everyone in your waiting room seems to be doing so much better than me."  And he said, "Anyone you're talking to in there has probably had a breast lift or reduction or augmentation.  They only wear their drains for a week.  You're right on track!"  That made me feel so much better!

So after we dealt with my emotional questions... he proceeded to add another 60 CCs of fluid to each of my expanders.  What a strange experience that was!  I could see the needle approaching, but I didn't feel the stick!  That's one plus to having lost sensation there.  My sister-in-law Kelly actually came to this appointment with me, so she thought it was all very interesting to watch.  (Kelly's has really seen every possible private area I have... she was also in the room when Elsa was born.  Haha!)  As we discussed prior to surgery, the end-goal is to expand me to about a C-cup, so Dr. Bauer suspects I'll need only one or two more "fill sessions" like this one.  I'm glad about that because I was actually quite sore that night!  My pec muscles felt like they were stretched very tight.  There was a lot of pressure on my chest and it was hard to sleep.  I had to go back to a regular 4-hr schedule of my pain meds  (I had backed off to using them on an as-needed basis.)

As I suspected, he said we wouldn't be able to remove my last two drains that day.  The numbers were just too high.  But we made an appointment for Monday and he says they are coming out at that appointment, regardless.  So that is something to look forward to!  No drains means I can shower!  And attempt to hold Elsa!  I would still rather my level of drainage go waaaay down before that day, so please pray for that.  As of today I'm still consistently draining 50+ CCs per side each day.  If the numbers are still that high on Monday, it will mean a fair amount of swelling and discomfort when the drains are gone.  No thank you!

Also, a little funny story:  I have not been wearing deodorant since the surgery.  I assumed (with NO instructions from the doctor) that it would be prohibited for some reason.  I really have no idea why I assumed that but I did.  Anyway, it occurred to me to call yesterday and ASK if I'm allowed to wear it, and it turns out I am!  That would've been great to know two weeks ago!  (Before my pit-stench reached the point of no return.)  I guess you live you learn!

That's the latest!  I find it fun writing down these updates.  I think I'll enjoy reading back over them because I'll probably forget a lot of this in years to come.  Having these blog posts will provide a little description to go along with the lovely (Not!) photos I'm taking to record the process.  At this point the photos are a little frightening... my scars are still red and puckered.  But in time, he says they will smooth out and turn white.  And the swelling and bruising will go down and everything will get better and better.  Looking so forward to that!

Thanks always for the prayers and notes of encouragement!

3 comments:

memerulz said...

Thanks for the update.Everyday we wonder what is going on with you.We know you have lots help Again so thankful for your progress. May God continue to heal you.love yall

Kim said...

A good update! Glad to hear you get the drains out soon. I hope Monday goes well, Cariss. And I just about died laughing about your deodorant story... too funny and sounds like something I would "assume" too!!

Carissa said...

It's so unfortunate because at this point the odor is something only a real shower could conquer... little mini-attempts aren't cutting it! But TOMORROW is almost here :)