Thursday, June 20, 2013

A Month and a Half Out! (Halfway to my exchange surgery!)

Hi all!

I am doing SO much better.  Aside from continued discomfort while sleeping I feel like I'm practically back to normal.  I have full range of motion and can lift Elsa with ease and go about my daily tasks normally.  Holding Elsa is a bit more difficult than it used to be, because when I bring her in to my chest and hold her there, my expanders push her away a bit.  It wouldn't be noticeable to anyone else... but I notice it because it makes her feel slightly heavier, being forced to hold her a few inches away from my body.  Oh well!  At least that's the only difference!

I still have slight sensitivity in the skin where my drain scars are.  (A bit of a stinging sensation, especially to the touch.)  My scars have flattened out nicely but are still red in color.  Eventually they are supposed to turn white, but I don't know how long that will take.

On August 13th, I get to go in for my next procedure and have the expanders traded out for silicone implants.  I cannot wait!  The feeling is sure to be the best EVER, after having these hard rocks in me 24/7.  My recovery shouldn't be as bad as my May surgery.  Same restrictions (no major lifting for the first 4-6 weeks)... but I should be feeling nrealy normal after just a week.   And then on September 3rd, we'll complete the final step in the process, the nipple reconstruction.  Both of these next two procedure are outpatient ones, so again... less hassle.

In other news, Elsa is 10 1/2 months old!! I can't believe it!  On the one hand, it seems like the most natural thing in the world... I've been here for every minute of her growing older, so it doesn't feel like time has flown.  But on the other hand, sometimes I watch her do something like use her potty, or stand on her own, or  pick up her food, and I think, "She's such a big girl!  Before I know it she'll be a KID, not a baby!"  That is just crazy to think about.

(This was Elsa's Father's Day gift to her Daddy.)

It's funny, I originally thought we'd be pregnant with our second kid by now.  Not because we wanted our kids super close together necessarily, but because I just assumed we'd have a "Whoops!" baby since my doc wouldn't put me back on birth control while I was nursing.  The surgeries have actually served to elongate our timeline a bit, and actually I am thankful.  (When we put them on the calendar we got a LOT more vigilant!  No "Whoopses" allowed because it would delay the surgeries.) I cannot imagine having two very small children at once.  A little extra space between them will be a good thing.

Other life news:  Chris, Elsa, & I will be taking a fun week of vacation next week to celebrate my Birthday and the 4th of July!  I'll be turning 27 on the 3rd.  (Yikes!  Officially late-twenties.)  We'll spend the first part of the week with my dad in Ozark, MO.  My brother and sister-in-law will join us there, so tons of fun is sure to be had.  Then after my birthday, we'll head to Cherokee Village in Hardy, AR for Chris's family's annual 4th of July Reunion.  Last year at this reunion I was 8 months pregnant :)   This year we'll have our little Baby Sweets there splashing in the baby pool and laughing with all the cousins.  Life is just so full of blessings!

(There's me, Chris, and Elsa in the boat last July!)

Happy Summer everyone!

No comments: