Thursday, September 25, 2014

38 Weeks!

I'm not feeling like filling out my little bumpdate form this week... but I don't want to let 38 weeks pass me by without recording a few thoughts.  Afterall, we're so close to Ava's arrival, I get the feeling I'll want to remember things about these last few weeks.

So let's see.  This week I've noticed numerous contractions.  They happen throughout the day, 20-30 minutes apart usually... and closer together when I'm doing something active like my Jane Fonda videos. :)  But none of them have been intense or painful, just frequent.  I also haven't noticed any significant "dropping."  I still feel plenty of pokes in the ribs and my bump seems pretty well-balanced.  And no intense pelvic pressure yet, other than what I've had all three trimesters.

I went in today for my 38 week OB visit.  And although I had preferred to wait another week before having him check my cervix, I decided to go ahead and get checked today.  We'd really love Ava to be born in October, and sometimes a pelvic exam can induce labor... so that's why I preferred to wait at least til next week.  But I could tell the doctor seemed to prefer that we go ahead and do a pelvic exam today (maybe because of all these contractions I've been having), so I just asked that he keep it very gentle and be sure not to strip my membranes or anything.  Anyway, turns out I'm dilated nearly to 2 centimeters and about 50-60% effaced!  That's more than I expected, considering that none of my contractions have been painful and Ava still feels nice and high.  But cool!

We've packed a few last minute plans into this weekend because I'm aware that Ava could be here any minute and that that will halt our busy schedule for awhile.  Tomorrow, I'm hosting play group at our house, since I'll probably be taking a break from the rotation for awhile after Ava's born.  Then in the evening, we will head to Searcy to spend tonight and tomorrow with my brother and sister-in-law.  And then on Sunday, we'll hopefully enjoy a visit from our out-of-town friends, the Howards.  Beth is graciously donating some of her pumped breastmilk to Ava's cause.  I'm soooo thankful!

Speaking of feeding Ava, the homemade vs. storebought formula saga continues.  Our pediatrician was/is very opposed to the raw milk recipe I wanted to use (citing the risk for bacterial infection)... and the herd share group we had joined in order to obtain our raw milk turned out to be very opposed to our being in the group after they found out we had disclosed to our doctor and to the Glowing Study our plans to feed Ava raw milk (citing the risk to themselves and their farmer from militant anti-raw-milk persons/groups who could potentially go after them with any number of unfounded legal allegations, set fire to the barn where the cows reside, etc etc.  Apparently that kind of stuff actually happens...?)  So after I had heard our pediatrician's stance and spent an anxious week researching, praying, and weighing all the pros and cons, I had decided it was still important to me to make Ava's formula from raw milk.  And then the herd share group kicked us out.  Suffice it to say I was quite emotional about the whole ordeal... (Talk about adding insult to injury... we felt opposed on all sides, and pretty unfairly treated, to be honest.)

So now, although there are other ways we could go about obtaining raw milk, they would be quite a bit more money and trouble... not to mention it would still mean acting in direct defiance of our pediatrician's preference.  So my newest finding is this formula.  It contains probiotics, something not one single solitary U.S. brand of formula includes... and one of the best things your breastmilk provides baby! (America, when it comes to baby formula options... you kinda suck.)  I'm waiting to hear back from our pedi as to whether she thinks this formula is suitable, since it's a UK-based brand.

Alrighty, so I think that covers the updates for this week!  Here's a pic I took last Friday (which technically makes it a 37 1/2 week picture, not 38, but close enough.)








No comments: