Thursday, September 18, 2014

37 Weeks


Weeks:  37- Fully full-term and just waiting for Ava to decide it's time to make her debut.
Baby:  Ava could be anywhere from 6-7 lbs right now.  She's head-down and kicking happily and pretty much minding her own business at the moment.
Weight:  159.6  (+24.3 lbs)  
Maternity clothes?  Yes!  And these days I'm wearing a lot of the same thing over and over.
Stretch marks?  So... technically I'd say no.  But non-technically, I'd definitely say my skin is a bit blotchy from all the stretching.  My belly is also quite pink a lot of the time (as if I'm sunburned, but I'm not.)  I guess that's from the stretching too?
Favorite moment of the week: Chris and I had a really fun date night on Tuesday.  We shopped for baby stuff (a few cute pairs of shoes, a wearable baby carrier, and a bottle warmer), and then we shopped for snacks to take with us to the hospital, and also a charm to represent Ava on my charm bracelet.  After that we had a nice dinner.  I really enjoyed that evening!  Also a highlight of the week was Saturday.  Our church ladies hosted a really wonderful Brunch/Baby Shower for us. I had a delightful time and felt very loved and honored.
Miss anything?  Clothing options.  I feel pretty limited these days.
Movement:  Yes! Plenty! 
Cravings?  A nightly bowl of cereal is a must.  Also sometimes I really wish I could have multiple cups of coffee a day... but don't we all?  And donuts are another personal fave of mine.  I usually treat myself to a couple after each of my OB/GYN visits, since the office is right by Dunkin' Donuts.  (And it's kinda nice because lately my appointments are every week, so that means donuts every week too!)
Anything make you queasy or sick?  The heartburn can get pretty severe sometimes.
Gender:   Girl!
Labor signs:  Things have been pretty quiet. Any contractions I do get are very mild, and I don't get the sense that baby has "dropped" significantly.  And I don't know whether I'm dilated or effaced at all.  I might go ahead and have the doc check my cervix at next week's visit, if I'm feeling curious.  But as of now, baby's still baking.
Symptoms:  I already mentioned heartburn.  And I'm glad to report that the plantar facciitis was short-lived (Praise!)  But my newest ailment is a severely pulled groin muscle.  Ow ow ow ow ow!  I don't remember any inciting incident that would've caused it... I just woke up one day and had this excruciating pain in my muscle there.  Awesome.  So I'm trying to take it easy but still squeeze in mild daily workouts so that my body is prepped and ready for natural childbirth.  (Squats are really key in preparing for birth... they help open up the hips and birth canal.)
Belly button in or out?  Out!
Wedding rings on or off?  On :)  I'm grateful that swelling is one thing I haven't dealt with during either pregnancy.
Mood:  Pretty good, I'd say!
Looking forward to:  Ava's birth!  Of course I know it'll be the end of this chapter where life is fairly easy with only one kid to deal with.  But still, it's fun to inch closer and closer to her birthday and wonder how it'll all go down.  Oh and also I'm looking forward to our hospital stay!  I know that sounds absolutely crazy... but to me, the idea of being allowed to lay in bed for a day, surrounded by air conditioning, with all our fun snacks to choose from, and no toddler to entertain... almost sounds like a little vacation. Haha!  Crazy, I know.
Freak-out moment of the week: I've been pretty anxious about whether I'm making the right decision about feeding Ava.  Some of you know I'd like to make homemade formula for her.  I believe very strongly in the positive benefits of breast milk, and it saddens me so much that I can't provide that to our children.  So I've read that raw cow's milk formula can provide a similar immune advantage to children and help supply them with beneficial probiotics to promote a lifetime of better health.  I believe so strongly in the power of our diets to do what medicine often cannot!  But on the flip-side of the coin, our kids' pediatrician is strongly opposed to my feeding Ava any raw milk due to the potential for bacterial infection.  I've read research papers out the wazoo, and there are smart people on both sides of the issue.  Additionally, the orthodox medical community is adamant that there is no sound research to support the claims that raw milk is beneficial for children in preventing disorder and disease... but I believe that is because the U.S. has so effectively banned any type of formal research from ever taking place that the benefits cannot be well-documented.  I've considered that we are in a uniquely helpful situation in that Ava's nutrition/development will be closely monitored because of her participation in the Glowing Study, so that is reassuring to me.  If I decide to go ahead and make our formula, I will have the advantage of knowing that she is being evaluated often to insure she is developing well and getting all the proper nutrients, etc.  But still, I'm torn and I need prayers to arrive at a decision I feel at peace with.
Thankful for: The community surrounding us.  In-laws who love to watch Elsa while I go to doctor's appointments, and who I know will take great care of her while we're at the hospital.  Church friends who love us enough to host a baby shower for us and pray for us as we make hard decisions about feeding, etc.  Fellow mommies in our little town.  I feel so blessed to have good people in our lives.

No comments: