I'm a big reader. I think that books have, from my childhood, been some of the biggest influencers on who I am. And all too often I am shocked when I ask someone, "Have you read ______?" And they answer no. There are MANY books that I LOVE. But I will acknowlege that some of them wouldn't be as fully appreciated by everyone. But these are the ones I think you MUST read, I don't care who you are.
The Chronicles of Narnia-
I think that ever since the movie came out, people have written the books off. But these books (and not just the first one, mind you, ALL of them) still to this day just fill me with so much joy about the God we serve. No book, song, movie or ANYTHING has been able to make me understand THIS fully the truth of God's love for us. And the best ones in my opinion are The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and The Last Battle. But just by a hair. They are all absolutely beautiful and should be read IN ORDER, starting with the Lion Witch and the Wardrobe as C.S. Lewis intended.
The Book of Romance- by Tommy Nelson
One of the best and most honest books I've read. You hear SO MUCH as you grow about physical purity and God's intentions for sex, but this book has gotten through to me like no other. It has given me a COMPLETELY different view of sex, one that I believe is truly God's intention for giving us this gift. I've bought this for people because I love it so much, and I also think guys should read it. It's written by a man and he does a VERY good job representing the points of view of both men and women with regard to sex.
A New Kind of Christian- Brian McClaren (probably spelled wrong)
I don't read an overabundance of Christian literature, but I wish everyone would read this. This is the faith I want to have.
The Brothers K- David James Duncan
Fictional novel. Seriously, one of the most beautifully written and hilarious stories ever. It can speak to ANYONE. It's about family, tough love, struggling through faith, baseball, war, and tons more. I've never laughed out loud this much in a book, but its not just funny... its very real.
Lord of the Rings-
Yet another example of a story that spoke to me from a completely different world... about the very world I live in. Genius. Enchanting. (I sound like the New York Times now... but I mean that, I was enchanted by these books.) I wanted to BE a part of this world. I will read these books again and again for my entire life.
Redeeming Love- Francine Rivers
Everyone should read this. GUYS should read this. Guys, please read this. This is the story of Hosea retold in a more contemporary time period. It gives the honest and ugly picture of who we were in our sin, and how God chose to save us anyway, despite our unfaithfulness. And it is a BEAUTIFUL story. I cried. A lot.
I'm probably leaving lots out here, but these are must reads. Go get them now and read them this summer.
No comments:
Post a Comment