Tuesday, April 3, 2007

I Don't Love You Much... Do I?

Relationships are funny to me. I think everyone has a "default setting." You've got those girls and guys who've always had "someone" and so being in a relationship is their default setting. They are most comfortable and familiar in that state. I'm one of those people whose default setting is to bail and be alone. Being in a relationship with someone is not where I'm comfortable and familiar. A lot of people are dating someone and they encounter a problem and they react by saying, "I'd rather be in this relationship and work through this problem." But I say, "I'd rather problems like this didn't come up in my life, and if I was out of this relationship, that's exactly what would happen."
It's funny that I'm writing about this, because its not even on my mind in reference to myself. I'm thinking about it more these days because I find myself advising my friends according to this philosophy. I simply don't understand why they choose to make their lives more complicated by staying in a dating relationship with a person who really isnt all that great an addition to their life.
But maybe I'll be singing a different tune someday. Up till this point though... I've never felt like I was better off WITH someone. So I guess its hard to relate with the people who DO feel that way.
Hey HERE's something I've been wishing I could say. Again, let me re-state that I will not be held responsible for any hurt feelings that result from my words... if you are going to get your feelings hurt, stop reading now. I went to the jersey night performance of Spring Sing last night, and every act was great! Exciting, interesting, full of talent. Except the show I came to support... the show my club was in. It was boring. I hate that, but its true. You could see it on everyone in the audience's faces the entire time it was going on. People kept waiting for something to pick it up, some sort of climax, some CHANGE of any kind. And it never came. It ended and it was as though the audience had forgotten it was even going on. No one really thought to clap, because no one had felt involved or excited during it.
After it ended, a girl asked me if they did bad. I was horrified because I couldn't deny it. In my head I was thinking, "Why did you have to ask me this?" And so what came out of my mouth was, "Why would you SAY that?!" Not too encouraging I'm sure. She observed that there hadnt been much applause. I couldnt think of what to say to her. I mean, its a little late in the game to suggest that they liven it up a bit . Any negative feedback would really only make people feel depressed. And they sure don't need that!
Anyway, enough about that. I really do hope no one will read it and think I'm trying to be mean. It's just the truth. People were bored.
In other news, my arms were really sore today. That's gotta be a good sign. I told Becca I might should take another day off of my Pilates video tomorrow if my arms are still sore, but she said you have to push through that and keep going. I'm glad I have her, because I wouldn't have tried that. Surely the persistence will pay off.
My FAVORITE day couldn't come fast enough. Wednesdays are all about Top Model and LOST. YESSSS!

No comments: