Monday, April 23, 2007

No One Cares About Your Wedding...

oh boy... another one of my friends just got engaged and I am not handling it well. And its not because I'm worried about myself. Its because I just don't feel ready for life to be moving so quickly. First came Josh and Shannon, then Nick, then Brett, then the knowledge that Beth and Trevor will get married (though thank the Lord they are taking their time) and now Tyler. I honestly don't know when I got old. And the other thing that makes it hard is that for some reason, when you've grown up with someone, you feel that you have to approve of... no, LOVE... the person they've chosen. i know that this isnt true... that people choose who they choose and that in most instances it matters not HOW i feel about them. And it isn't that i DISLIKE these people... its that I don't know them. And somehow the fact that I don't know them gives me the false sense that the friend mustn't really know them either. It's completely illogical... but unsettling nevertheless.
And perhaps there's also the part of me that sees how long it took each of these friends (well, most of them) to reach the point of "readiness" with their respective "people." A long time. And that seems so daunting. Because if I want to get married (and who says i do?) im going to have to get to know this as-of-yet unmet person for a VERY long time before I can even THINK about marriage.
I'd like to echo my dear friend Beth, who said to me today, "If another one of my friends gets engaged, I'm moving to Venus." I'd also like to add that if said event happens with a certain very close friend and her boyfriend... I'll light myself on fire first, then move to Venus.
If you just read that and are worried that I was talking about YOU... I wasn't.
Ok, so now I need to get off the computer to stuff and seal some Harding birthday cards. I'm supposed to do them in the office, but I can't always get as much work done as i need to within the office hours... so i've started smuggling the cards back to my room so i can clock in at night.
Speaking of Offices, this week better be a new episode or I'll be ticked.

No comments: