I went to Sylvan Hills highschool today to observe a Spanish class. It was a looonnnng day. Classes began at 8:25 and didn't get out until 3:45! Isn't that nuts? I've never heard of a highschool letting out so late.
Anyway, I feel like I've described the day so many times that I'm sick of it. The basic gist is that the teachers there do not seem to care whatsoever and those poor students are learning NOTHING. Well, at least they are being TAUGHT nothing. If they're learning, its all on their own and as far as I can tell, all happening at home. The main job of the teachers seems to be to tell them to stop talking, grade their worksheets, and let them go to the bathroom. I will not be teaching my classes that way... I'm confident of that. The only thing that discouraged me abit was how BEAT I was by the time the day is over. I hate the idea that all too soon my life could become like that. So many people drag themselves every day to a job that sends them home wrug out like a washrag. I don't want to hate my life. Why do we need money? Africans don't need money. Well, they do. But not for gas or cell phones or Clinique makeup. My big spending problem is that I feel so strongly about buying food organic. I think that everybody should care about this and do it. I read an article just today in fact that talked about all the different chemicals that they spray on your broccoli before it arrives at lovely Wal-Mart. Food is supposed to be planted and cultivated... weeds pulled by hand... all that. Not sprayed with a monthly application of Roundup.
This is why I'm going to have a garden. No more nasty tomatoes and Round-Uppy cucumbers. I wonder if teachers have time to pull weeds. I'm also going to have a pet pig (one that stays small.) I used to tell an ex-boyfriend about this idea and he thought it was crazy. So I would send him notes from an imaginary pig named Oinky in which I would enumerate all the qualities that make pigs wonderful pets. For instance, they have hair... not fur, so they don't aggravate allergies. They are HIGHLY intelligent... moreso even than dogs. Ever seen Babe? That movie was legit. And they don't lick themselves repeatedly like stupid cats. I really hate cats.
So that's two things I want: a garden and a pet pig (indoor, btw.) What else? A freaking awesome kitchen with EVERYTHING in it. A VERY comfortable bed. Endless supply of soft socks. Books. A good church family.
And most of that (with the exception of the "good church family"... well... kind of) requires money. Pigs don't buy their own pig food. Socks don't just purchase themselves. And this is why I must teach. So my hope is that I can be a force for change in schools like the one I saw today, and that I can stay optimistic about life even if the job gets depressing.
No comments:
Post a Comment