And here's what they are. I've had in in my mind all along that it is a necesary step for me on the road to fluency in Spanish and full qualification to teach it, to spend some extended time in a setting in which I'm forced to use only Spanish. Otherwise known as an "immersion program." In the beginning, I thought it best to use the summer after graduation to do this, but there arose the issue of money. Those programs are not cheap... especially if you go somewhere overseas for an entire summer. So then I heard about a program in Spain that pays American students to come teach English in Spanish Universities for eight months. Beginning in October. And I thought to myself, "I could do THAT the year after I graduate." The money issue would be taken care of, I wouldn't make a profit, but I'd at least break even. But about a million reasons attacked me about why I'm not sure about that program.
1. I had enugh troubling handling just 3 months in Chile. 8 all the way over in Spain is absolutely terrifying. (I don't care if you think that's a bad reason, it's very valid to me.)
2. The kind of Spanish they speak in Spain is comparable to the "King James" version of English. It's never appealed to me to learn "Spain Spanish."
3. It seems it would be smart to line up an actual teaching job in the states after I graudate. The surgery plans I mentioned in an earlier post are something I hope to carry through ASAP. This means I need a salary and health insurance, and the sooner the better.
Ok, I can't think of the other 999,996 reasons. The point is, I've almost ruled out the Spain option. That takes me back to the summer option. The money problem can be solved if I elect to go somewhere IN the states. Texas... Miami... but another problem arises. I loveingly refer to it as "Beth and Trevor's Wedding." I feel that I must be home for this wedding. Or rather, I want very much to be home for it. My dad says that sometimes you have to make hard decisions when it comes to your life, and that it doesn't always make sense to put your whole life on hold for a single day like that. But I'm torn. I mean, isn't that the moral of every movie you ever see? "Click" "It's a Wonderful Life"... Don't chase after your carreer dreams and lose sight of what's really important: the people you love and the special moments of their lives. Beth and Trevor's wedding may be just one day... but that one day is part of what my life is ABOUT. I'm not putting my life on hold if I plan my summer around it. I'd be missing out on part of my life if I DID miss it!
So I think that I might go to Miami for the first half of next summer. My friend Alvaro is from there and he says I can stay with his family. And maybe I can get a job there, improve my Spanish, and come home in time to celebrate with Beth. And then go wherever I decide to go start teaching. And then with any luck be able to have my surgeries the following summer. Three months off to make a full recovery. And I can do the European traveling I'm sure you're all screaming that I'm missing out on (turning down this Spain thing) a few summers later when I've saved up some money and gained a little more confidence about taking care of myself on my own.
So there are the plans. I's sure God is laughing his head off right now saying, "You have NO idea what I've got in store for you." And I'm sure I don't... but I'm going to pursue this and try to keep my eyes open to any other directions he might send.
No comments:
Post a Comment