The writers of The Office are on strike. I don’t get why that means that they can’t keep airing new episodes. It’s not like they record a new one every week to air on Thursday night. I’m sure they’ve got a whole bunch of them just sitting there waiting, and instead they’re showing re-runs. So that stinks.
But anyway, that’s just been part of my night. I spent the earlier parts of the evening enjoying an unexpected little student center dinner with my roommate and one of our friends, who is a guy. Don’t want to write his name on here in case it comes up on someone’s Google search, but the time I spend with this particular guy always leaves me contemplating my own lack of adventurous-ness. I told him tonight that I don’t think there is a person on this campus more opposite from me than him? Sounds like a funny thing to say to someone, but seriously its true. I don’t think there’s a bone in this guy’s body that has any apprehensions about traveling foreign countries alone, or not having money for food, or not having a place to live, or wandering around in an area that’s at war and filled with bullets and bombs. I wonder what his parents think of all this. I didn’t ask him that. Anyway, I look at people like that and I look at people like me, and I’m amazed how different people can be. Everything that would terrify me about those situations is the exact thing he loves about them. And money. Money is the primary reason I opt not to do almost EVERYTHING I opt not to do. And for him… money’s not a worry. God will provide.
Money has me very concerned. How am I going to be able to pay all my upcoming expenses? How am I going to buy Christmas presents? Or how am I going to have enough money for gas to get to student teaching every day this spring, when student teaching takes up all the hours I’m available to work? How will I be able to make money over the summer? Where will I even be over the summer?
If I were just to give up thinking about this at all, simply telling myself “God will provide”… what would happen? Is that even the answer? Shouldn’t I be at least thinking about ways to work and make that money so I don’t have to be in debt? What’s the right attitude to have about it?
Anyways, aside from all those thoughts… the other two big items on my plate right now are a paper and a project. The paper has been so interesting to me! It’s for Christian Home and it’s about the differences between the genders. It’s a paper about how the class has challenged me to consider that the qualities unique to men (less sensitive/emotional than us, stronger sexual drives than us, etc…) are not the “weaknesses” I’ve always considered them to be, but rather, purposeful and God-given, and “in the image of God.” Wow. This same friend I was talking about above encouraged me to read Wild at Heart because he said it would give me a lot of insight about this. I checked it out on CD in the library tonight. :)
The project is interesting too. It’s a power point presentation for Conflict Management. I’m telling the class about a conflict I had with my dad pretty recently, and using it as a case study to show how we used the classic elements of “destructive conflict management.” Hahaha.
Sorry if that was a boring post. I’m thinking it may have been.
No comments:
Post a Comment