Friday, February 15, 2008

I've officially changed my password.

Forget all that stuff I said about a new distraction. I am so over it.
In fact, I think I'm back to the old one and I'm not so sure that's good because for awhile there it/he was highly distracting to me. maybe this time it wont be as bad.
I'm back in my room early on a Friday night because I'm supposed to be submitting a take-home final exam tonight, which consists of 10 essay questions. I know I say this all the time but my. life. sucks.
Not really though. There's lots of good things and I'm living by my motto which is currently, "Don't succumb to the daily grind."
Let me give you all a little sample of how I didn't succumb to the daily grind this week. The day of my last blog... the day I didn't want to begin... did in fact begin. And it was crazy.
It began with me rushing to the bible building during what is usually chapel time to participate in what I thought was a mandatory survey of all the Harding seniors. They had sent us about 8 e-mails reminding us to be there. I was thinking to myself, "In and out," because i needed to get back to the room so Christy and i could do ALL the preparations for the group presentation we were supposed to give at 11. And we're talking visual aides, costumes, involving the class in interactive activities... the whole she-bang. And we had done none of it yet.
But the mandatory senior survey turns out to be some sort of test issued by the ACT people themselves. It was timed (40 minutes) and over Math, Reading Comprehension, and Bible knowlege. And it wasn't so much mandatory. But once we sat down, they began the timer, said no one could leave til it went off, and I had to take a freakin' mini-ACT. I was ticked. Not only about that but about the fact that even when I finished, I had to wait to leave and I needed to get the presentation ready.
Finally, time is up. I rush back to the room to find Christy trying to assemble a construction worker's costume (which is part of our presentation.) She's got on this tool belt with a hairdryer and brush stuck in it. I decide to dress as a cleaning lady, but the outfit ends up looking more like one of those French maids.
Its about 30 minutes til presentation time and christy and i are supposed to bring supplies for a group activity, AND a video file containing the interview I had promised to do with an employer in Searcy. There's no time for this interview so I throw a hairnet on Christy and stick her in front of our sink and start asking her questions as she pretends to be, "Jaqueline, general manager of dish washers at Cafe de Paris." As the video loads onto my computer we start sweeping grocery cans into Wal-mart sacks for the activity. (We were going to have the class race to bag groceries.) So yeah, we're running around the room stealing mouthwash and shampoo out of the cupboards and garlic salt out of the cabinet.
We manage to haul all this crap to the education building, set up our presentation and ACE it (although we had to turn in quite a few required documents late due to the fact that we didnt read the rubric.) Bwe have NO time to glory in this miraculous victory because in our planning, we forgot to complete the article summary that was due for the same class. The policy is that it can be turned in before five, so as soon as class is over we run to the computer lab next door to pump out the article summary before the next class starts. I'm still dressed as a French maid but there's no time to stop for air. Why? Because I hadn't anticipated this article summary business and had left the next class' homework til right before. So I had to finish the one assignment and then log online and do the one for the next class. No problem, I thought. I've got half an hour.
I fly through the article summary, print it, and try logging into the class account to do the peer review thats due in 15 minutes. And I get a pop-up, "Access denied." This is the same pop-up that was plauging me the night before when I tried to do this assignment ahead of time. There's no time for this crap, so I run to my professor's adjoining office and ask as sweetly as I can why the system is denying me access. He has no idea, but he is eyeing my French maid costume with a confused look. He invites me in and gets Dorm Net on the phone to talk to me. The guy on the line also has no idea why I am being denied access, so he proceeds to ask for my username and password so he can trying logging me in himself.
At this point, I freeze. I am mortified. I realize that I am going to have to explain over the phone to a MALE stranger, inside the office of my MALE professor, that my password is "peepeepoop". Dont ask WHY this is my password, I have no justification. But lets just say I KNEW this would one day come back and bite me.
Anyway, there is no time to be anything but up front, so I spell the password out and hear peals of laughter from the other end, as well as from my teacher who is typing at his desk. Mortified.
And to top it off... Access still denied. Finally, my teacher logs onto his account and sees that for some unaccountable reason, my name and my name alone on the roster has been selected for "no access." He clicks "reassign access" and... problem solved.
Defeatedly I ask for an extension on the assignment, which he grants, and I trudge off to the bathroom to change out of the maid clothes in the five minutes that remain.
And I'd love to tell you that it slowed down after that, but it would be a lie. I had to go teach a mini-spanish lesson in the next class, and do the prep-work beforehand as well. But the craziest thing is... it ALL worked out. Aced the article summary, aced the presentation, finished the peer review, successfully taught the Spanish lesson. All because my motto was, "Do NOT succumb to the daily grind."
I'm so ready for "Education Majors Pledge Week" to be done.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

omg. the password story is amazing, this post is classic. love it. im glad things will slow down soon.