Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Carissa's Perfect Day

A friend asked me today to describe what my perfect day would look like. As I outlined this day, I realized that this question is one that produces a very telling answer. Maybe I'm just an oddball, but I found myself revealing such a myriad of things about myself, just by describing my perfect day.
Here's the answer I gave him:
Carissa's Perfect Day:
I would know ahead of time that all the people I love most were pre-scheduled into this day.
I would wake up two hours before I had to be at a big breakfast get-together with my family and our close friends the Barnes. During this two hours I would walk around in the dark in my robe praying, making coffee, waking up slowly, and just being alone.
After breakfast the whole lot of us would head to the lake and we would meet up with other groups of friends, like from church. It would be a really hot, sunny day and we'd ride around in boats and waterski and lay out in the sun. And I'd laugh hysterically with Harrison, Mallory, and Jess and Kate (from the aforementioned Barnes family.)
After the lake, I'd hop some flight to some special location where all my friends from Harding would be. We'd get ready together for some big fun night out and then go to an awesome restaurant and drink wine and eat tons and tip our waiters some outrageously huge amount just to be nice. After eating we would do something ridiculous like skinny dip or play a prank on somebody.
And somehow the evening would end up with me getting to sit and talk for a long time with the boyfriend I do not have. (Not that this is a point of discontenct for me... you'll notice he has not appeared in any part of this perfect day.) He would understand everything I was feeling and thinking and he would make me laugh without really even having to work at it. And he would be the best kisser in the world... good enough to make me forget any other kiss I've ever had, which would be saying something.
And then I'd stay up late watching movies with my roommates and eating cookie dough and brownie batter and peanut butter and knowing that it wouldn't have the slightest effect on my weight. And I'd fall asleep on a couch because I love to sleep on couches. But before I drifted off I'd pray to God and I would hear him answer me and I'd know for sure that it was him.

No comments: