I meant to post three days ago. If I had... the post would have said, "Superman and I have been doing SO well the past few days. Its just been great."
Then, I meant to post yesterday. If I had, it would have said, "I'm more upset with Superman than I've been in a long long time." (Followed by a lot of incoherent thought that would have been my effort at sharing my feelings without sharing too much info where I shouldn't.)
And today, I'm back to GREAT. Why? Because it is a snow day and thus, a 3-day weekend! An average person loves that. So how must an extraordinarily moody, very reluctant teacher feel about that!? Superb, that's how.
I didn't even check the news today. I went about my morning business, woke up to plug in my hot rollers at 6:30. I don't get my hopes up for snow days. The let-down of having to go when you hoped you wouldn't is just too devasating.
Just listen to my language... I'm telling you, MOOD SWINGS! Something isn't just "sad" to me, its devastating. And when I'm happy, I'm not just excited, I'm giddy (and often I make sure I dont get giddy until I truly believe I'm safe to celebrate.)
I've lived with two people in my life who were so the opposite of this that I felt like a bipolar emotional basketcase in comparison. One is my dear friend Kelli Estepp (who simply does not allow herself to become disheartened... Me? Well I just admitted I'm slow to allow myself to celebrate. How sad.) And the other, of course, is Superman. How can anyone be so content? At first, I thought, "He's a MAN. That's why." (I've been told you should never use a man as the measuring stick for what your emotions should look like.) And while that plays a big part in it... I've known some pretty emotional men in my time. Superman has some secret power that stretches beyond simply his "man-ness."
So, those of you out there who seldom find yourselves in a state of unconsolable melancholy... how do you do it? What's the secret? Enlighten me.
No comments:
Post a Comment