We had a fortunate mishap yesterday.
“See… what had happened wuz…” (that was supposed to sound like one of my students but it won’t sound right to you unless you read it aloud in Ebonics.)
So yeah… what had happened wuz… Superman set his alarm (so he swears) and it didn’t go off! I was having a very uneasy night of sleep as is commonly the case during the schoolweek. I tossed and turned and got up to go to the bathroom around 5:25 am. I then lie half-awake (lied half-awake?) for the next hour waiting to hear the alarm. With every passing minute I grew more anxious about the pending alarm and the day to follow. (This is also a very common occurrence in my morning, so I told myself to relax and try to sleep.)
The next noise I heard was Superman’s phone ringing. The doc was calling to ask where the h--- he was! Haha, I’m only guessing he cussed… he probably didn’t.
I sprang out of bed and immediately felt dizzy from low blood sugar. It was 7:55! The school bell would be ringing in 5 minutes and I was an hour away and shall-we-say “NOT ready?” (big time understatement).
I called the school and… what luck… they had an extra substitute teacher hanging around. Subs can’t be hired for one single class period so I took a half sick-day and got to spend the morning sorting my garage sale stuff. Fun! (Really.) Sidenote: If you live in Maumelle, come to my garage sale. Date and time to be announced.
Of course it was embarrassing to admit oversleeping to the secretary and the few students who asked. But I could not have planned it better myself (or had the stones to follow through if I had planned it.) I had exactly one half sick day remaining for this year, I had a morning with VERY few students that day (thanks to a standardized test that was taking all my juniors until lunch), and plans merely to review with the 1-2 seniors I was going to see that morning. Oversleeping could not possibly have happened at a more convenient time.
And that still counted as one day down! Best part.
Here’s the countdown:
( 9 ) Days left til Spring Break
( 85 ) Days left til end of the schoolyear
( 54 ) School days left til end of the schoolyear
(2) Birth control packs left til the end of the schoolyear :)
Nothing significant to that milestone other than that I like it because the number is small.
No comments:
Post a Comment