Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Ugghhhhh... what a day what a day!

I basically cornered my boss and forced him to have a conversation with me about whether or not my changing role in the office would be reflected in my salary.  In my own defense... it's next to impossible to get a meeting time with him or to get him to stick to a scheduled meeting time already in place.  Jen, you know all about that.  So my cornering him as soon as he walked in was (in my estimation) my only choice.

It was awkward.  It was bad timing.  It was embarrassing to be told, "You're over-paid as it is."  It was fruitless, and frustrating.  I spent the rest of the day paranoid about what he was thinking of me and who all he was telling.

And for the record... I disagree with the overpaid comment.  I'm perfectly happy with my salary, but don't think its fair for it to stay the same if my job description gets amplified.  And if I'm not worth what I'm being paid... why are you paying me that?  And if I AM worth what I'm being paid, why throw a comment like that in my face and make me feel like an idiot?

For those of you less-familiar with my job situation... I started at my job 5 months ago, and after only three months was offered a great opportunity to fill in for a girl with a much more "important" job than me.  Its been hugely challenging, busy, but good.  I've been told I did well with it.  Since she's been back, I've been in limbo.  Displaced from my original place at the front desk by the temp (who has also made a great impression and who they now don't want to let go)... I'm migrating from office to office throughout the day whenever the part-time ppl aren't using them, still doing a sort-of hybrid version of my job and hers.  I'm e-mailing my spreadsheets and files to myself every time I have to switch computers.  I'm doing the more complicated parts of my old job, as well as the basics of her job. And no one knows when, or how, or if my role is going to shift in this direction, or return to normal.  And the meeting where we're supposed to discuss it keeps getting put off for the next day... then the next.

And I seem to be the only one in our office team who's fidgeting and fretting about it.

It's not fun.

Obviously this is one of those things that a few days time will likely solve.  Still I felt like telling you all about it.    Share my humiliation a little.

1 comment:

Jennifer Crow said...

I am so sorry! I can't believe he told you you were overpaid already...that's ridiculous! He should never have said that. Let me know how it goes...I'm so sorry!