Monday, December 27, 2010

2011 is the year for...

Do you make new Year's Resolutions?

Do you shrug them off because so many people are unsuccessful at keeping them all 365 days?

Do you avoid setting goals for yourself because the guilt of never growing is easier to bear than the anxiety that comes with change?

~

I personally think resolutions are a very good thing.  And while I don't think you have to wait for a new year to make them... a new year is a great time for it because it means you'll make them consistently throughout your life.  And even if you don't keep them all 365 days, there's value to whatever amount of discipline you exercised in keeping them for a while (whether one week, 30 days, or 6 months!)

~

However, I also believe we humans need to strike a certain balance when setting goals.  We err terribly if we place our happiness perpetually in "a time to come."  We cannot live our lives saying, "When I get that raise..." or "When we get pregnant..." or "When I lose the weight..." then will I be happy.  Its a pitfall common to the goal-oriented man or woman to get stuck in this trap.  And it's just as dangerous as never setting goals for growth and change at all!

Here's what I say.  Don't be lazy and don't be scared!   Look hard at yourself... deep inside at all the things you'd decided were beyond repair.  Dare to make the changes that need to come about!  Not because any happiness depends on it but because you are a bold, beloved, and gifted child of the Creator!  What are your gifts?  Find them out!  Develop them... grow them... share them... offer them up to the one who bestowed them upon you.

I'm reminded all the time of the story of Cain and Abel... and how each of them made an offering to the Lord.  And how Abel found favor in God's eyes because he offered the first fruits... the BEST he had.

Don't live a mediocre 2011... Ask yourself, "What's the BEST thing I can offer God this year?" And run after it.  Don't walk.  RUN!  And when you begin to tire out a few weeks or months down the road, jog or walk a bit... but don't give up!  Start running again once you've caught your breath.  And find someone to cheer you on along the way.  Maybe even someone who wants to run that path with you!

Give God all you've got this year.  Again, not because the achievement of x or y will finally make you happy, but because you were made to soar... not to trudge.

~

Here are my 2011 resolutions:

1. Re-read the daily Bible.  (I fell off the  wagon a teensy bit at the end of this year... but I can still say that the experience has been one of indescribable value.  I'm just starting the New Testament and have been overwhelmed with thankfulness at the concept of "God, with us."  After so many centuries of distance... HE lived on Earth among us.  Thank you thank you Lord, for Jesus!)

2. Re-dedicate myself to improving my physical fitness.  (Specifically to exercise at least 4-5 times a week and increase my pull-ups, push ups, and core strength.)

3. Get outside more!  Hike, bike, walk, run, canoe, camp!  (I'm NOT taking advantage of the beauty God offers me every day in the sunshine, trees, and fresh air, and I want to.)

4. (this goes along nicely with #3) Get a garden up and running.  I want to have a functional compost area (instead of a tiny bucket that basically serves to feed the squirrels of my neighborhood) plus tomatoes, sweet potatoes, maybe carrots if I can grow them, and other produce that is to be determined.  I need to get a good gardening book and read it.  Any suggestions?

5. Get to know the people I worship with at Pleasant Valley (especially people outside my immediate age group.)  Attend church events, get involved in a ministry with Superman and/or one on my own, be a part of bible studies, invest in these people as my church family and not just as a visitor in their Sunday morning service.

6. Continue to learn about food photography and improve my knowledge and skills in that area.

7. Pass the the Series 63 and Series 7 by the end of March.  (I really need to get down to business, ahem... I'm procrastinating til the new year on this one.)


8. (I was going to write, "Keep my house orderly and my dishes somewhat in-check," but that's just not realistic, so instead I'll say...)  Get the second guest bedroom cleaned out and the boxes and junk up into the attic.  Have a garage sale if necessary.

9. Pray for everyone.  Pray every day for others.  Keep a journal or list of those on my heart and offer up prayer on their behalf daily.  Oh, that the Lord may heal the many I know who are hurting or running from him!  And that He may increase my faith and trust in Him.

~

I'd say nine is plenty of resolve to keep my plate full!

What are your 2011 goals???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved this, Carissa. It is so encouraging to hear you striving to give your BEST to God. Maybe we can hold each other accountable to read through the Bible this year?

Love,
Tessa