Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Just Being Honest...

Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb here because the only people that read this are my best peeps anyway.  I'm very disheartened about something.

I just registered an account on this website called FoodGawker.  I love it!  It's awesome.  I could stare at it for hours!

But Foodgawker doesn't love me.  You see... you submit your original food photos and when people look at them they can link back to original blog post to learn how to make it.  Brilliant idea, no?  And the pictures are stunning.

I have tried to submit seven different photos... seven is the number of photos I possess that I am MOST proud of.  The ones that I think have the prettiest food, the best composition, the best focus, etc.

But Foodgawker rejected every one of them for every reason you can imagine:

-white balance issues
-out of focus
-poor photo composition
-dark/underexposed
-the list goes on

I'm truly crushed.

This is something I love to do... and I'm not good at it!  And don't comment trying to comfort me.  The obvious explanation is that as an amatuer my photos look good to me... but to a website who accepts thousands of photos daily based on their own criteria... mine don't cut it.  I feel like the guy at church who wants to lead singing because he loves it more than anything in the world... but the worship committee nicely has to tell him, "Sorry but you don't sing on key and you have no rythym and its distracting to the church to try and follow you."

It's a hard pill to swallow.  I tell you I'm truly crushed.

I blame my camera in part... I shouldn't have gotten a point and shoot... there's only so much you can do with them focus-wise.  But what's with these color issues!?  The camera at least ought to shoot true color and good white balance!  I'm doing everything I know to do... I've read the manual... so why does every picture have a yellow cast to it?  Is it my wall color? 

I guess that's all.  Just needed to share my sorrows.

2 comments:

Jennifer Crow said...

If it makes you feel any better you're WAY better with a camera than I am...I know NOTHING!! Wish I did but I'm too lazy to read anything about it to get better. It will come practice, keep trying!! I belive in you!

Lana Summitt said...

YOU ARE GOOD AT IT! Don't let some snarky website get you down. Keep it up because I love to look at your food pics!!!