Friday, December 10, 2010

Oh Heavens Me...

I don't know if I can adequatley describe to you with words how grateful I am to be done with the Series 6.

Not only to be done... but to have passed!

The pressure I felt to do well the first time was astronomical.  I wanted to show my boss I'm smart, capable, worth keeping, worth a raise.  And as I took practice test after practice test and scored first a 69, then a 67, then a 66... I basically dissolved into desperate tears thinking "What am I going to DO?  I can't fail this! I can't!"  Poor Superman.  How does he put up with me?

Thankfully, the night before my test I finally began passing the practice exams.  I didn't feel as ready as I wanted to... but at least I felt I could go in and pass.

And pass I did!  Although right up to the very last question I was convinced of the exact opposite!  Every question was weirdly worded.  Every retirement plan, payout option, and mutual fund policy was called something I'd never heard or seen before.  What I know as a "Life Income Annuity" they were calling a "Life Contingent Annutity."  You might not think that's a big deal, but when you've read it ALL, you know how big of a difference one word can make.  And how frightening it can be to encounter a question that appears to be something you've never read.  Now picture that happening every other question

I took every possible minute of my time and marked about fifty questions to go over again at the end!  Auugghh.

And when I finally pressed "OK" and had to wait the required ten seconds while the computer scored my test, my heart was rushing and I felt sick with doubt!

I was sure I'd see a 69% pop up onscreen any minute...

Then I saw it...

85%

I looked away... then back again.  I did this about five times just to be sure.  Of course I couldn't cheer or celebrate in any way.  (There were other testers in the room.)  And honestly, that was ok.  All I really wanted to do was breathe again, and know that it was over.

Don't talk to me for another couple of days about the 63 and the 7.  Those are coming up in the next few months.

1 comment:

Kimmy said...

CONGRATS Cariss!!!