Monday, May 27, 2013

For Those Who Would Benefit From Some Photos

I've realized in the course of my Mastectomy & Reconstruction journey that photos have played a crucial role in my self-preparation to take this huge step in my life.

I have poured over lots of Before & Afters from plastic surgery websites... some pretty great-looking... and some pretty gruesome.

The point I'm trying to make is: The photos were really important to me as I considered what I wanted to do.  And I've decided I'd like to make my own photos available (on a private blog) to those who've expressed an interest in seeing them.  Maybe you're considering undergoing genetic testing or preventative surgery yourself... or maybe you have a loved one who is... or maybe you just care about me and don't like resorting to Google to try and figure out what the heck I look like after all this surgery.  (That could give you a frighteningly unrealistic set of search results.)  The truth of the matter is, my results aren't all that gruesome.  I'm pretty happy with them, and we're not even done yet!  And if you are considering genetic testing due to a strong family history of cancer, but are fearful of the idea of preventative surgery, I'm hoping that getting this peek into the process will further encourage you to take that brave step and get tested!

So here's the deal.  If you want access to the photo diary of my Mastectomy & Reconstruction journey... leave a comment containing your e-mail address or send me a message containing your e-mail address.  I will add you to the Readers List for it and you will be notified via e-mail each time there is a new post.  This will allow me to keep control over the privacy of these photos while still getting them out there where I'm sure many could benefit from seeing them.  I know that I (for one) was very grateful to all the brave bloggers who published their photos for the world to see... because seeing their photos helped me take steps forward and pursue the surgery myself.

(P.S. I am not going to think you are a weirdo if you request to see this blog, even if I don't know you very well.  I'm a naturally curious person, so I'd be all over it if our roles were reversed!)

3 comments:

Dani said...

I'd be interested!

emily said...

I wanna see how things are shaping up! :)

Amy Davis said...

Count me in too, having seen my MIL's butcher job, will be glad to see your success