Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Great Report From Today's Doctor Appointment!

I came out of my doctor appointment SO excited this morning!

I was able to schedule my exchange surgery for Tuesday, August 13th... that's just a little over two months away, and I cannot wait!  Dr. Bauer filled my expanders to 460 CCs today, and he ordered my silicone breast implants (those will be 450 CCs) but they will appear slightly smaller than my expanders do because they are more easily compressed by the pec muscles.

I scheduled my nipple reconstruction for 3 weeks after my exchange surgery (September 3rd.)  That will allow the implants to settle and allow us to assure that both sides are symmetrical before he does the nipple procedure.  Both surgeries are outpatient procedures and the recovery won't be nearly as bad as the mastectomy.  He said I'll have about a week after my exchange surgery where I can't do much of anything, but no drains and I'll be back to full function about a month later!

Also good news: I thought that I'd have to wear an underwire bra 24/7 after the exchange surgery in August.  (Other people had told me that was the case for them.)  But Dr. Bauer said NO... I won't need to do that!  I can wear my surgical bra for a few weeks after and then whatever I want.  So excited!

It just feels so good to have those dates on the calendar. :)  They feel more real now.

I will not have to go in weekly anymore, now that my fills are complete.  I just have one follow-up appointment in June with Dr. Abraham (who did the mastectomy) and one in July with Dr. Bauer as a check-up before the surgery in August.

*Also, for anyone who did not see my last post: I have started a private blog that contains photos of my reconstruction as the process moves forward.  I think that seeing these will be very helpful to people who might be considering preventative surgery (or might know someone who is.)  I know that looking at photos of others was very helpful to me and I want to make that available to others.  So if you want access to that blog, give me your e-mail address and I'll send you an invite!

1 comment:

Kate said...

Hey Carissa, I have a cousin's wife who was just diagnosed with breast cancer and will be having a double masectomy soon. Are you okay with me passing your photos onto her? Kamhughes@gmail.com

And I'm glad you're recovering so well! That's great! I've enjoyed seeing your progress!